Reclaiming the House of the Representatives from Republicans: Case Study of Districts TX-32 and NJ-3
Languages of publication
2018 midterm elections in the United States allowed more ethnically and racially diverse candidates to become members of the Congress. The use of social media tools helped them to reach out to their community and get out the vote, which is especially important in Democratic campaign tactics. The article, by focusing on Colin Allred's and Andy Kim's Congressional bids, focuses on how their issue-oriented campaigns helped to mobilize the liberal voters. Furthermore, by analysing the rapidly changing demographics, it tackles the crucial question: do they mean the doom of the Republican Party?
- Allred, C. (2018a). Colin Allred's Facebook fanpage. https://www.facebook.com/ColinAllredTX/ (10/05/2019).
- Allred, C. (2018b). Colin Allred's Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/colinallred/?hl=en (10/05/2019).
- Allred, C. (2018c). Colin Allred's Twitter account. https://twitter.com/ColinAllredTX (10/05/2019).
- Barba, J. (2018). Colin Allred's Fresh Approach Is Winning In Texas. Millenial Politics. https://www.countable.us/articles/8481-colin-allred-s-fresh-approach-winning-texas-jesse-g-barba-millennial-politics (10/05/2019).
- Beetham, D. (2013). The Legitimation of Power (Political Analysis). 2nd.Edition. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Bialik, K. (2019). For the fifth time in a row, the new Congress is the most racially and ethnically diverse ever. Pew Research Center. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/02/08/for-the-fifth-time-in-a-row-the-new-congress-is-the-most-racially-and-ethnically-diverse-ever/ (10/05/2019).
- Bialik, K., & Krogstad, J.M. (2017). 115th Congress sets new high for racial, ethnic diversity. Pew Research Center. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/24/115th-congress-sets-new-high-for-racial-ethnic-diversity/ (10/05/2019).
- Biryukov, N. (2018). Kim won't back Pelosi. New Jersey Globe. https://newjerseyglobe.com/congress/kim-wont-back-pelosi/ (10/05/2019).
- Burns, A., Shorey, R., & Patel, J. (2018). Small Donors Fuel a Big Democratic Lead in 2018 Fund-Raising. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/16/us/politics/campaign-finance-small-donors.html (10/05/2019).
- Caldera, C. (2018). Obama's first midterm endorsements include Democrat Colin Allred for Congress. Dallasnews. https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2018/08/01/obama-backs-democrat-colin-allred-dallass-congressional-district-32-first-endorsements (10/05/2019).
- Catalist Analytics (2019). What Happened in the TX-32 Congressional Election?. Medium. https://medium.com/ @CatalistAnalytics/what-happened-in-the-tx-32-congressional-election-3a292ea8cf44 (10/05/2019).
- Circle (2018). The Center For Information & Research On Civic Learning And Engagement. https://civicyouth.org (10/05/2019).
- Cronin, S. (2017). NJ Politics Digest: MacArthur Cashes In on Trump Connection. Observer. https://observer.com/ 2017/06/nj-politics-digest-macarthur-cashes-in-on-trump-connection/ (10/05/2019).
- Debenedetti, G., & Schneider, E. (2018). Top takeaways from the Texas primary. Politico. https://www.politico.com/ story/2018/03/07/takeaways-texas-primary-2018-443992 (10/05/2019).
- Denton Jr., R. (2017). Studies of Communication in the 2016 Presidential Campaign. New York: Lexington Books.
- Doherty, B. (2007). “Elections”: The Politics of the Permanent Campaign: Presidential Travel and the Electoral College, 1977-2004. Presidential Studies Quarterly, 37 (4), 749–73.
- Duhart, B. (2018). Racist font used in attack ad against Korean American candidate, Democrats say. NJ.com. https://www.nj.com/camden/2018/09/gop_dismisses_claim_of_shameful_racist_attack_in_n.html (10/05/2019).
- Ford, A. (2018). NJ election results 2018: Did this candidate give Andy Kim the win? Usa Today Network. https://eu.app.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/11/13/nj-election-results-2018-did-candidate-give-andy-kim-win/1979534002/ (10/05/2019).
- Fuchs, Ch., Boersma, K., Albrechtslund, A., & Sandoval, M. (2012). Introduction: Internet and Surveillance: In: Ch. Fuchs, K. Boersma, A. Albrechtslund, & M. Sandoval (eds.), Internet and Surveillance: The Challenges of Web 2.0 and Social Media (pp. 1-28). New York: Routledge.
- Hefler, J. (2018). At Burlington County diner, Joe Biden rallies support for Democratic House candidate Andy Kim. The Philadelphia Inquirer. https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/new_jersey/south-jersey-joe-biden-third-district-house-midterms-democrat-andy-kim-tom-macarthur-20181015.html (10/05/2019).
- Insider NJ (2018). Andy Kim Launches First Ad Against Health Care Repeal Author. Insider NJ. https://www.insidernj.com/press-release/andy-kim-launches-first-ad-health-care-repeal-author/ (10/05/2019).
- Issenberg, S. (2019). Here's What Beto Could Unleash on Trump. Politico Magazine. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/02/22/beto-orourke-campaign-strategy-2020-225193 (10/05/2019).
- Jackson, H. (2018). Midterm election poll: Tom MacArthur, Andy Kim are in a virtual tie. Northjersey.com. https://eu.northjersey.com/story/news/new-jersey/2018/08/14/2018-midterms-macarthur-and-kim-virtually-tied-nj-battleground/976457002/ (10/05/2019).
- Kilgore, E. (2015). Election 2014: Why the Republicans Swept the Midterms. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Kim, A. (2018a). Andy Kim For Congress Facebook fanpage.https://www.facebook.com/AndyKimNJ/ (10/05/2019).
- Kim, A. (2018b). Andy Kim For Congress Youtube account. https://www.youtube.com/channel/ UC8MizkUgpluL4Xgr_CAKlfg (10/05/2019).
- Kim, A. (2018c). Andykimnj Instagram account. https://www.instagram.com/andykimnj/?hl=en (10/05/2019).
- Kim, A. (2018d). AndyKimNJ Twitter account. https://twitter.com/andykimnj?lang=en (10/05/2019).
- Levinsky, D. (2018). Tom MacArthur and Andy Kim campaigns battle over pledge to refuse corporate PAC money. Echo-Pilot. https://www.echo-pilot.com/news/20180409/tom-macarthur-and-andy-kim-campaigns-battle-over-pledge-to-refuse-corporate-pac-money (10/05/2019).
- Livingston, A. (2018). For both parties, the race between U.S. Rep. Pete Sessions and Colin Allred is bigger than one seat. The Texas Tribune. https://www.texastribune.org/2018/10/30/colin-allred-pete-sessions-north-texas/ (10/05/2019).
- Marland, A., & Lalancette, M. (2014). Access Hollywood: Celebrity Endorsements in American Politics. In: J.Lees-Marshment, B.M. Conley, & K. Cosgrove (eds.), Political Marketing in the United States (pp. 130–47). New York: Routledge.
- McBain, S. (2018). The ''blue wave'' has left Congress and US politics more diverse than it has ever been. NewStatesman. https://www.newstatesman.com/world/north-america/2018/11/blue-wave-has-left-congress-and-us-politics-more-diverse-it-has-ever (10/05/2019).
- Milligan, S. (2018). Destiny in the Demographics. US.News. https://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/articles/2018-11-16/women-and-minorities-deliver-for-democrats-in-midterm-election (10/05/2019).
- NDG (2018). Allred focusing on infrastructure and healthcare in election bid. North Dallas Gazette. https://www.blackpressusa.com/allred-focusing-on-infrastructure-and-healthcare-in-election-bid/ (10/05/2019).
- O'Connor, K. & Sabato, L. (2005). Essentials of American Government: Continuity and Change, 2004 Election Update. New York: Pearson Longman.
- Panetta, G. & Lee, S. (2019). This graphic shows how much more divers the House of Representatives is getting. Business Insider. https://www.businessinsider.com/changes-in-gender-racial-diversity-between-the-115th-and-116th-house-2018-12?IR=T (10/05/2019).
- Petersen, A. H. (2018). Beto Voters In Texas Aren't Heartbroken – They're Ready For The Next Fight. Buzzfeed News. https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpetersen/beto-orourke-texas-democrats-voter-suppression (10/05/2019).
- Romano, A. (2018). New Jersey House race tests the limits of the backlash against Trump (and Pelosi). Yahoo News. https://news.yahoo.com/new-jersey-house-race-tests-limits-backlash-trump-pelosi-191142466.html (10/05/2019).
- Rosenberg, A. (2018a). Andy Kim's campaign took off in the Mt. Laurel Wegmans. The Philadelphia Inquirer. https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/politics/andy-kim-tom-macarthur-midterms-nj-congress-trump-20180827.html (10/05/2019).
- Rosenberg, A. (2018b). Tom MacArthur vs. Andy Kim: Will 17,000 door knocks in a weekend and Piper Perabo be the difference in New Jersey's 3d Congressional District?. The Philadelphia Inquirer. https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/new_jersey/shore/nj-3-andy-kim-tom-macarthur-election-2018-political-canvassing-volunteers-knock-doors-swing-left-20181022.html (10/05/2019).
- SCRI (2018), New Jersey 03: Democrat Kim 49% Republican Incumbent MacArthur 39%. Siena College Research Institute. https://scri.siena.edu/2018/10/02/democrat-kim-49-republican-incumbent-macarthur-39/ (10/05/2019).
- Tomaszewski, N. (2017). The Overview of the Presidential Primary Campaign of Bernie Sanders: the Analysis of his Political Background and the Influence of Celebrity Endorsement and Social Media on Voters. Political Preferences, 14, 137–56.
- Tomaszewski, N. (2018a). Do the celebrity politics really matter for Hispanic voters today? The comparison of Barack Obama's and Donald Trump's presidential campaigns. Athenaeum. Polish Political Science Studies, 59(3), 158–77.
- Tomaszewski, N. (2018b). Sweet Home Alabama? Not Anymore for the Republicans. Quick Guide How to Lose Elections. In: R. Dudała (ed.), Fashion Politics. The strategic directions of political marketing (pp. 84–104). Kielce: Wydawnictwo UJK.
- Tucker, R. (1968). The Theory of Charismatic Leadership. Philosophers and Kings: Studies in Leadership, 97(3), 731–56.
- Wildstein, D. (2018). New Jersey awaits vote count. New Jersey Globe. https://newjerseyglobe.com/congress/new-jersey-awaits-vote-count/ (10/05/2019).
- Wiszniowski, R. (2000). Marketing wyborczy. Studium kampanii wyborczych w systemach prezydenckich i semiprezydenckich (Finlandia, Francja, Polska, Stany Zjednoczone). Warszawa: PWN.
Publication order reference