PL EN


2012 | 47 |
Article title

Początki działalności Instytutu Józefa Piłsudskiego w Nowym Jorku (1943‑1956)

Content
Title variants
Languages of publication
PL
Abstracts
PL
The beginnings of Jozef Pilsudski Institute in New York (1943‑1956)Part I.(1943‑1950)Jozef Pilsudski Institute was founded in New York, July 4, 1943. It was founded by three prewar Polish ministers: Wacław Jędrzejewicz, Henryk Floyar‑Rajchman and Ignacy Matuszewski. They were supported in their efforts by representatives of the independence environment centered around the National Committee of Americans of Polish Descent [in Polish called KNAPP for short]. There were among others Franciszek Januszewski, the editor of Polish Journal in Detroit, Maksymilian Węgrzynek, the publisher of the New World in New York, Lucjan Apolinary Kupferwasser, W. Skubikowski from Chicago, and Ludwik Zygmunt Dodatko from Detroit.The main aim was to maintain constant and independent scientific research facility dealing not only with collecting and organizing historical documents, but also with popularizing unadulterated knowledge about Poland and its recent history. From its earliest days the Institute was based on financial support granted by Polish activists and on membership fees, as well as on larger donations from some members. Since the late forties, when KNAPP activity slowly began to fade, actions and statements of people associated with the Institute were regarded as guidelines for independence environments. These people formed very cohesive environment, being faithful to Pilsudski heritage, negated any compromises with regard to Polish independence. It was strongly anticommunist rejecting all contacts with PRL institutions [the Polish People’s Republic].Thanks to the energetic work of people connected with the facility rapidly grew both archival and library collections. In 1949 the collection in the library had grown to 2500 books, periodicals reached up to 800 titles. To the library came valuable Polish diplomatic archives, collections of different personalities, as well as documents showing the huge effort of organizations of Poles, who after the end of the war were on the territory of West Germany.Simultaneously, the Institute sought to publish a reliable source of recent Polish history. Documents issued in English, such as Poland in the British Parliament (Volumes 1‑3) developed by Wacław Jędrzejewicz, memories of Juliusz Łukasiewicz were an example of such activity. The periodical Independence, which appeared in Warsaw before the war, was still published. Начала Деятельности Института им. Юзефа Пилсудского в Нью‑Йорке (1943‑1956)Часть 1 (1943‑1950)Институт им. Ю. Пилсудского был основан в Нью‑Йорке 4 июля 1943 года. Основали его 3 довоенных польских министра: Вацлав Енджеевич, Хенрык Флоар‑Райхман и Игнацы Матушевски. Они получили поддержку и помощь от деятелей независимости, в основном членов Национального Комитета Американцев Польского Происхождения, в частности от Францишка Янушевского, издателя Польского Дневника в Детройт, Максимилиана Венгржынка, издателя Нового Мира в Нью‑Йорке, Люциана Аполинария Купфервассера и В. Скубиковского с Чикаго, а также Людвига Зигмунта Додатко с Детройт.Главной целью их деятельности было основание и управление постоянным и независимым научно‑исследовательским учреждением, которое бы занималось не только накоплением и упорядочением исторической документации, но и популяризацией достоверных знаний о Польше и ее новейшей истории. С первых дней своего существования Институт действовал исключительно при финансовой поддержке деятелей Полонии, членских взносов, а также больших пожертвований его некоторых членов. С конца 40‑х годов, когда постепенно начала угасать деятельность ПКАПП, действия и высказывания людей, связанных с Институтом воспринимались как указания, как пример для деятелей независимости. Эти люди образовывали сплоченное сообщество, которое, следуя наследию Пилсудского,отрицало какие бы то ни было компромиссы в вопросах независимости Польши. Оно было категорически антикоммунистическим, отрицало всякие контакты с учреждениями ПНР.Благодаря энергичной работе людей, связанных с Институтом, огромными темпами росли архивные и библиотечные фонды Института. В 1949 г. библиотека насчитывала уже около 2500 экземпляров книг, а картотека журналов доходила до 800 наименований. Библиотечный фонд пополнялся ценными архивами дипломатических представительств, личными архивами разных людей, а также документами, описывающими огромные усилия организаций поляков, которые после окончания войны оказались на территории Западной Германии.Одновременно Институт старался опубликовать достоверные источники, касающиеся новейшей истории Польши. Примером этому могут быть изданные по‑английски документы, например ≪Poland in the British Parliament≫ (том 1‑3), отредактированные Вацлавом Енджеевичем, воспоминания Юлиуша Лукасевича. Продолжалось также издание ежегодника ≪Независимость≫, который выходил перед войной в Варшаве.
Year
Volume
47
Physical description
Dates
published
2012
online
2012-12-01
Contributors
References
Document Type
Publication order reference
Identifiers
YADDA identifier
bwmeta1.element.ojs-doi-10_12775_SDR_2012_12
JavaScript is turned off in your web browser. Turn it on to take full advantage of this site, then refresh the page.