The article presents the history of Classical Archaeology as a research and study area in Poznań, from the perspective of the times in which it was created and developed. The author of the text also outlines scientific achievements of Poznań university centre in the field. The subject was established already in 1919 with the creation of the University of Poznań itself, and it grew steadily in the interwar period, mainly through the efforts of the only specialist -Mieczysława S. Ruxer, PhD. After World War II, Classical Archaeology had been taught at the University since the resumption of its activities in 1945 until 1969, when it was closed. Archaeologists, however, continued both research and teaching in the area - working in the Institute of History and the Institute of History of Art. Moreover, since 1970 Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań has had its own archaeological mission excavating the ancient legion camp and the city of Novae (present Bulgaria). After the fall of communism and the political transformation in 1989, endeavours were made to reactivate Classical Archaeology in Poznań. As a result, it was re-created in 1999, being a part of the Archaeology subject at the Institute of Prehistory, as a specialisation of Archaeology of the Mediterranean. In 2004 it was renamed and since then there has been the specialisation of Oriental and Ancient Archaeology, developing at the Institute of Prehistory at Adam Mickiewicz University.