Quality Assurance in Teacher Education
Quality Assurance in Teacher Education
Languages of publication
Quality in general education has been defined through aims, key qualifications, organisational standards, didactic requirements, but also learning outcomes which depend on students’ proficiency in the language of schooling and their cognitive academic skills. New challenges bring about changes in responsibilities of schools and teachers and have a strong impact on approachesto quality assurance in teacher education, a complex process not devoid of controversies, the most important of which will be identified in the present text. Implications for the curricular content of pre- and in-service language teacher education will also be sought.
Quality in general education has been defined through aims, key qualifications, organisationalstandards, didactic requirements, but also learning outcomes which depend on students’proficiency in the language of schooling and their cognitive academic skills. New challenges bringabout changes in responsibilities of schools and teachers and have a strong impact on approachesto quality assurance in teacher education, a complex process not devoid of controversies, the most important of which will be identified in the present text. Implications for the curricular content of pre- and in-service language teacher education will also be sought.
- AACTE 2013. American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education. (2013, June 18). NCTQ review of nation’s education schools deceives, misinforms public. Washington, DC. Retrieved from https://aacte.org/news-room/13-press-releases-statements/151-nctq-review-ofnations- education-schools-deceives-misinforms-public (date of access 03.08.2016).
- Alderson, C., Beretta, A. 1992. Evaluating Second Language Education. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Beretta, A. 1986a. A case for field experimentation in programme evaluation. In: Language Learning 36, 295–309.
- Beretta, A. 1986b. Program-fair language teaching evaluation. In: TESOL Quarterly 20/3, 431–445.
- Block, D. 2003. The Social Turn in Second Language Acquisition. Washington: Georgetown University Press.
- Bourdieu, P. 1994. Structures, habitus, power. In: Dirks, N.B., Elley, G., Ortner, Sh.B. (eds), Culture / Power / History. A Reader in Contemporary Social Theory. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 155–199.
- Čepic, R., Tatalovic Vorkapic, S., Loncaric, D., Andic, D., Skocic Mihic, S. 2015. Considering Transversal Competences, Personality and Reputation in the Context of the Teachers’ Professional Development. In: International Education Studies, 8/2, 8–20.
- Conteh, J., Meier, G. 2014. The Multilingual Turn in Languages Education. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- Council of Europe. 2000. European Language Portfolio (ELP): Principles and Guidelines. Document DGIV/EDU/LANG(2000)33. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Council of Europe. 2001. Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching and Assessment. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Council of Europe. 2010. Graz Declaration on Language Education. Quality Language Education forPlurilingual People Living in Multilingual Societies. Graz: Council of Europe Publications.
- Council of Europe. 2012. Recommendation CM/Rec(2012)13 of the Committee of Ministers to Member States on Ensuring Quality Education. Adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 12 December 2012 at the 1158th Meeting of the Ministers’ Deputies. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Creemers, B.P.M., Kyriakides, L., Antoniou, P. 2013. Teacher Professional Development for Improving Quality of Teaching. London: Springer.
- Cummins, J. 2000. Language, Power and Pedagogy. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- Cummins, J. 2008. BICS and CALP: Empirical and Theoretical Status of the Distinction. In: Street, B., Hornberger, N.H. (eds). Encyclopaedia of Language and Education, 2nd Edition, vol. 2: Literacy. New York: Springer Science, 71–83.
- Delors, J. (eds). 1996. Learning. The Treasure Within. Paris: UNESCO.
- Dumont, H., Istance, D., Benavides, F. (eds). 2010. The Nature of Learning. Using Research to Inspire Practice. Paris: OECD Publishing.
- European Union. 2006. Conclusions of the Council and of the Representatives of the Governments of the Member States, Meeting within the Council, on Improving the Quality of Teacher Education. Brussels: Office of the European Union Publications.
- European Parliament. 2006. Recommendation of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2006 on Key Competences for Lifelong Learning – OJ L 394, 30.12.2006. Brussels: Office of the European Union Publications
- European Parliament. 2008. Recommendation of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2008 on the Establishment of the European Qualifications Framework for Lifelong Learning. Brussels: Office of European Union Publications.
- European Commission. 2007. Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament. Improving the Quality of Teacher Education. Brussels: European Commission.
- European Commission, EACEA, EURYDICE, CEDEFOP. 2014a. Tackling Early Leaving from Education and Training in Europe. Strategies, Policies and Measures. Eurydice and Cedefop Report. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union.
- European Commission. 2014b. Education and Training. Monitor 2014. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union.
- European Commission. 2015. European Higher Education Area in 2015. Bologna Process Implementation Report. Educational, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency EACEA: Brussels.
- Eurydice. 2006. Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) at School in Europe. Brussels: Eurydice.
- Faure, E. 1975. Learning to Be. Paris: UNESCO.
- Florian, L., Linklater, H. 2010. Preparing teachers for inclusive education: using inclusive pedagogy to enhance teaching and learning for all. In: Cambridge Journal of Education, 40, 369–386.
- Fuller, E. J. 2014. Shaky Methods, Shaky Motives: A Critique of the National Council of Teacher Quality’s Review of Teacher Preparation Programs. In: Journal of Teacher Education 65(1), 63–77.
- Heyworth, F. 2013. Applications of quality management for language education. In: Language Teaching 46, 281–315.
- ISO. 1994. International Organization for Standardization; Technical Committee ISO/TC 176. ISO 8402: Quality Management and Quality Assurance – Vocabulary. 2nd ed. Geneva: International Organization for Standardization.
- Jacob, B., Lefgren, L. 2004. The impact of teacher training on student achievement: Quasiexperimental evidence from school reform efforts in Chicago. In: Journal of Human Resources 39, 50–79.
- Jarvis, P. 2005. Infinite dreams, infinite growth, infinite learning. The challenges of globalization in finite world. In: Lifelong Learning in Europe, 10 (3), 148–155.
- Kelly, M., Grenfell, M. 2004. European Profile for Language Teacher Education – A Frame of Reference. Southampton: University of Southampton.
- Kiely, R.N., Komorowska, H. 1998. Quality and impact: the evaluation agenda. Pre, In-service and Continuing Education (PRINCE). Warsaw: The British Council, 15–39.
- Komorowska, H. 2009. Issues in educational evaluation: evaluating small scale projects. In: Wysocka, M. (ed.). On Language Structure, Acquisition and Teaching. Katowice: Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Śląskiego, 437–444.
- Komorowska, H. 2012. The Teacher Training Colleges Project in Poland. In: Tribble, Ch. (ed.), Managing Change in English Language Teaching. Lessons from Experience. London: The British Council, 147–153.
- Little, D., Perclová, R. 2001. European Language Portfolio. Guide for Teachers and Teacher Trainers. Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Looney, J. 2009. Assessment and Innovation in Education. Paris: OECD.
- Mackey, R., Wellesley, S., Bazergan, E. 1995. Participatory evaluation. In: ELT Journal, 49(4), 308–317.
- Maslach, Ch., Leiter, M. 1997. Truth about Burnout. How Organisations Cause Personal Stress and What to Do About It. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
- Menken, K. 2013. Emergent bilingual students in secondary school. Along the academic language and literacy continuum. In: Language Teaching, 46 (4), 438–476.
- Muresan, L. 2007. QUALITRAINING – A Training Guide for Quality Assurance. Graz: Council of Europe.
- Newby, D., Allan, R., Fenner, A.B., Komorowska, H., Jones, B., Soghikyan, K. 2007. European Portfolio for Student Teachers of Languages. European Centre for Modern Languages in Graz. Council of Europe Publishing.
- OECD. 2007a. Educating Teachers for Diversity. Meeting the Challenge. Paris: OECD Publishing.
- OECD. 2007b. Evidence in Education. Linking Research and Policy. Paris: OECD Publishing.
- OECD. 2008. Trends Shaping Education. Paris: OECD Publishing.
- OECD. 2010. Education at a Glance. OECD Indicators. Paris: OECD.
- Phipps, S. 2015. Integrating theory and practice: The case of Delta in Bilkent University. In: Wilson, R., Poulter, M. (eds.), Assessing language Teachers’ Professional Skills and Knowledge. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 324–348.
- Pitura, J. 2012. Adult educator development and burnout: self-management of generic competences in problem prevention. In: Heikkinen, A., Jogi, L., Jutte, W., Zarifis, G. (eds.), The Futures of Adult Educator(s): Agency, Identity and Ethos. Joint Conference Proceedings, 28–35.
- Rea-Dickens, P., Germaine, K. 1992. Evaluation. London: Oxford University Press.
- Reynolds, M. 2008. City Report: Sheffield’s Language Education Policies. Council of Europe: Strasbourg.
- Rychen, D.S., L.H. Salganik (eds.). 2001. Defining and Selecting Key Competencies. Seattle: Hogrefe and Huber Publishers.
- Schön, D. 1983. The Reflective Practitioner. How Professionals Think in Action. New York: Basic Books.
- Scriven, M. 1991. Evaluation Thesaurus. Newbury Park: Sage.
- SurveyLang – First European Survey on Language Competences. Final Report. 2012, Brussels: Council of Europe.
- Szpotowicz, M. 2011. Europejski Wymiar Edukacji – Comenius w Polsce. Warszawa: FRSE.
- Wallace, M. 1991. Training Foreign Language Teachers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Weir, C., Roberts, J. 1994. Evaluation in ELT. London: Blackwell.
- deWit, H. 2011. Trends, Issues and Challenges in Internationalization of Higher Education. Amsterdam, Centre for Applied Research on Economics and Management.
- Wright, T. 2010. Second language teacher education: review of recent research on practice. In: Language Teaching, 43, 259–296.
Publication order reference