Sex education of adolescents with autism spectrum disorders in Poland
Sex education of adolescents with autism spectrum disorders in Poland
Languages of publication
Anna Gulczyńska, Aneta Wojciechowska, Sex education of adolescents with autism spectrum disorders in Poland. Interdisciplinary Contexts of Special Pedagogy, no. 24, Poznań 2019. Pp. 155-176. Adam Mickiewicz University Press. ISSN 2300-391X.DOI: https://doi.org/10.14746/ikps.2019.24.09 The aim of this article is to present the results of research into how mothers of individuals with ASD perceive school sex education. The article aims to contribute to the discussion on the need to introduce changes in the Polish education system as far as the area of sexuality is concerned. The study was carried out in two parts, at time intervals. The results were obtained only from mothers, which corresponds with the conclusion that mothers talk about matters of sexuality more often than fathers do and with daughters rather than with sons. The results indicate that mothers want to influence the sex education of their children, at the same time having no knowledge of what topics they are pursuing or can pursue with their child during formal sex education at school (education for living in a family).
- Akagi K., The Meaning of a Developmental Stage Theory in Studies of Developmental Disorder, “Japanese Journal of Developmental Psychology” 2011, no. 22(4), pp. 381-390.
- Aston M., Asperger syndrome in the bedroom, “Sexual & Relationship Therapy” 2012, no. 27(1), spp. 73-79.
- Ballan M.S., Parental perspectives of communication about sexuality in families of children with autism spectrum disorders, “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2012, no. 42, pp. 676-684.
- Bauminger N., Marjorie S. & Rogers S.J., Predicting Friendship Quality in Autism Spectrum Disorders and Typical Development, “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2010, no. 40(6), pp. 751-761.
- Bitsika V., Sharpley Ch.F., The Association Between Social Responsivity and Depression in High-Functioning Boys with an Autism. Spectrum Disorder, “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2016, no. 28, pp. 317-331.
- Chin H.B., Sipe T.A., Elder R., Mercer S.L., Chattopadhyay S.K., Jacob V., Wethington H.R., Kirby D., Elliston D.B., Griffith M., Chuke S.O., Briss S.C., Ericksen I.,
- Galbraith J.S., Herbst J.H., Johnson R.L., Kraft J.M., Noar S.M., Romero L.M., Santelli J., The effectiveness of group-based comprehensive risk-reduction and abstinence education interventions to prevent or reduce the risk of adolescent pregnancy, human immunodeficiency virus, and sexually transmitted infections: Two systematic reviews for the guide to community preventive services, “American Journal of Preventive Medicine” 2012, no 42, pp. 272-294.
- Chrzanowska I., Zagrożenie nowymi formami zachowań ryzykownych wśród dzieci i młodziej z niepełnosprawnością – uzasadnienia dla zainteresowania problematyką, „Studia Edukacyjne” 2014, no. 33, pp. 35-44.
- Corona L.L., Fox S.A., Christodulu K.V. & Worlock J.A., Providing Education on Sexuality and Relationships to Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Their Parents, “Sexuality and Disability” 2016, no. 34, pp. 199-214.
- Cridland E., Jones S.C. & Caputi P., Being a Girl in a Boys’ World: Investigating the Experiences of Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorders during Adolescence, “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2014, no. 44(6), pp. 1261-1274.
- Curry O., Chesters M.J., Putting Ourselves in the Other Fellow’s Shoes’: The Role of ‘Theory of Mind’ in Solving Coordination Problems, “Journal of Cognition & Culture” 2012, no. 12(1/2), pp. 147-159.
- Dec-Piertowska J., Paprzycka E., Wychowanie do życia w rodzinie – raport przedmiotowy [in:] Gender w podręcznikach, projekt badawczy. Raport, vol. 3, (ed.) I. Chmura-Rutkowska, M. Drurda, M. Mazurek & A. Sołtysiak-Łuczak, Fundacja Feminoteka, Warszawa 2016, pp.127-173.
- Dewinter J., Vermeiren R., Vanwesenbeeck I. & Van Nieuwenhuizen Ch., Parental Awareness of Sexual Experience in Adolescent Boys With Autism Spectrum Disorder, “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2016, no. 46, pp. 713-719.
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. Fifth edition. DSM-5. 2013. American Psychiatric Association, http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/ bluebook.pdf [access: 07.01.2019].
- Fein E., Making Meaningful Worlds: Role-Playing Subcultures and the Autism Spectrum.“Culture, medicine and psychiatry” 2015, no. 39, pp. 299–321.
- Fornalik I., Mam autyzm. Mam seksualność. I co dalej?, Fundacja JIM, Łódź 2017.
- Goldman J.D., An exploration in health education of an integrated theoretical basis for sexuality education pedagogies for young people, “Health Education Research” 2011, no. 26, pp. 526-541.
- Gougeon N.A., Sexuality and autism: A critical review of selected literature using a socialrelational model of disability, “American Journal of Sexuality Education” 2010, no. 5, pp. 328-361.
- Hannah L.A. & Stagg S.D., Experiences of Sex Education and Sexual Awareness in Young Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder, “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2016, no. 46, pp. 3678-3687.
- Hogben M., Chesson H., Aral S.O., Sexuality education policies and sexually transmitted disease rates in the United States of America, “International Journal of STD&AIDS” 2010, no. 21, pp. 293-297.
- Holmes L.G., Himle M.B., Brief Report: Parent–Child Sexuality Communication and Autism Spectrum Disorders. “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2014, no. 44, pp. 2964-2970.
- Harrower J.K., Denti L.G. Weber-Olsen, M., Educating Students With Autism Spectrum Disorder. A Model for High-Quality Coaching, Plural Publishing, United States 2016.
- Holmes L.G. & Himle M.B., Brief Report: Parent-Child Sexuality Communication and Autism Spectrum Disorders, “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2014, 44, 2964-2970.
- International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, ICD-10 1996, WHO.
- Hughes K., Bellis M., Jones, L., Wood S., Bates G., Eckley L., McCoy E., Mikton C., Shakespeare T., Officer A., Prevalence and risk of violence against adults with disabilities: A systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies, “The Lancet” 2012, no. 379 (9826), pp. 1621-1629.
- Kijak R., Seksualność człowieka z niepełnosprawnością intelektualną a rodzina, PZWL, Warszawa 2014.
- Kościelska M., Niechciana seksualność, Czarna Owca, Warszawa 2004.
- Lasgaard M., Nielsen A., Eriksen M.E. & Goossens L., Loneliness and social support in adolescent boys with autism spectrum disorders, “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2010, no. 40, s. 218-226.
- Livingston L.A., Colvert E., Bolton P. & Happe F., Good social skills despite poor theory of mind: Exploring compensation in autism spectrum disorder, “Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry” 2018, no. 60(1), pp. 102-110.
- Loftin R.L., Hartlage S.A., Sex Education, Sexual Health, and Autism Spectrum Disorder, “Pediatrics and Therapeutics” 2015, no. 5(1).
- Matthews N.L., Smith Ch.J., Pollard E., Ober-Reynolds S., Kirwan J., Malligo A., Adaptive Functioning in Autism Spectrum Disorder During the Transition to
- Adulthood. “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2015, no. 45, pp. 2349-2360.
- Mehzabin P., Stokes M.A. Self-assessed sexuality in young adults with high-functioning autism, “Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders” 2011, no. 5(1), pp. 614-621.
- Peterson C.C., Garnett M., Kelly A., & Attwood T., Everyday social and conversation applications of theory-of-mind understanding by children with autism-spectrum disorders or typical development, “European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry” 2009, no. 18(2), pp. 105-115.
- Pino M.C., Mazza M., Mariano M., Perreti S., Dimitriou D., Masedu F., Valent M., Franco F., Simple Mindreading Abilities Predict Complex Theory of Mind: Developmental Delay in Autism Spectrum Disorders, “Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders” 2017, no. 47(9) pp. 2743-2756.
- Pfeffer R.B., Autistic and at-risk: the public and personal safety of children with autism spectrum disorders. Abstract of dissertation Submitted in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Criminology and Justice Policy in the Graduate School of Social Sciences and Humanities of Northeastern University, November 2012, https://repository.library.northeastern.edu/files/neu:1024/fulltext.pdf [access: 07.01.2019]
- Regulation of the Polish Minister of National Education of June 2nd, 2017, amending the regulation on the mode of school education and the scope of topics concerning human sexual life, the rules of conscious and responsible parenting, the value of the family, life in the pre-natal stage as well as the methods and resources of conscious procreation, included in the general education curriculum, Polish Journal of Laws of 2017, item no. 1117.
- Strunz S., Schermuck C., Ballerstein S., Ahlers, Ch.J., Dziobek I. & Roepke S., Romantic Relationships and Relationship Satisfaction Among Adults With Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, “Journal of Clinical Psychology” 2017, no. 73(1), pp. 113-125.
- UNESCO, http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/technical-guidance-sexuality-education/en/ [access: 07.01.2019].
- White C., Holland E., Marsland D., Oakes P., The identification of environments and cultures that promote the abuse of people with intellectual disabilities: A review of the literature, “Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities” 2003, no. 16, pp. 1-9.
- Wojciechowska A., Gulczyńska A., Sexual behaviour of children and teenagers with autism spectrum disorder. Pilot study results, “Interdisciplinary Contexts of Special Pedagogy” 2017, no. 19, pp. 91-108.
Publication order reference