Towards the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) between the European Union and United States
Languages of publication
In this research work, the author focuses on the analysis of the activity towards the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) between the European Union and United States. It has been emphasized that the talks will reduce regulatory barriers. New agreements to remove trade barriers aim at reducing dead-weight costs and at increasing net social gains from international trade. The article examines the impact of free trade agreements like TTIP and, in particular, investor-state dispute resolution mechanisms in reducing the power of national governments to regulate and eliminate market inequality. The article offers examples of successful regulatory cooperation efforts in the hope that it will shed light on possible approaches to addressing regulatory divergences. Ideally, the best way to address problems arising from regulatory divergence would be on a multilateral basis, while taking into account the relations of the EU and the US with other countries. The main aim of the article is the presentation of the challenges for TTIP negotiations. The particular objective of the research task is the regulatory trade barriers in US-EU foreign trade policy, the nature and the promoters of TTIP, the interrelationship between regulatory standards and international cooperation in TTIP. The general theoretical approach will be of broad interest to economists interested in international questions, especially transatlantic cooperation, as well as to political scientists. The main methods applied in this research were the institutional method, comparative method, documentation method and statistical methods. Additionally, the methods of deductive and inductive forecasting were applied.
- Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade (1994), 15 April 1994, WTO Agreement, Annex 1A, Results of the Uruguay Round of Multilateral Trade Negotiations: The Legal Texts, p. 138.
- Agreement on the Application of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures, 15 April 1994, WTO Agreement, Annex 1A, Results of the Uruguay Round of Multilateral Trade Negotiations: The Legal Texts, p. 69.
- Berden K. G., Francois J., Thelle M., Wymenga P., Tamminen S., (2009), Non-tariff measures in EUUS trade and investment – an economic analysis, ECORYS Nederland BV, Rotterdam.
- Buongiorno J., Rougieux P., Barkaoui A., Zhu S., Harou P. (2014), Potential impact of a Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership on the global forest sector, Department of Forest Economics, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Umeå, Published by Elsevier GmbH, “Journal of Forest Economics”, 20, pp. 252–266.
- Ciuriak D., Lapham B., Wolfe R., Collins-Williams T., Curtis J. M. (2011), Firms in International Trade: Towards a New Trade Policy, November.
- Department of Commerce, U.S.-Mexico High Level Regulatory Cooperation Council, http://trade.gov/hlrcc/, 15 November 2013.
- Egan M. (2003), Constructing a European Market, Oxford University Press, New York, p. 256.
- Egger P., Pfaffermayr M. (2011), Structural estimation of gravity models with path-dependent market entry, CEPR Discussion Paper No. DP8458, http://www.ssrn.com/abstract=1889961.
- Felbermayr G., Heid B., Lehwald S. (2013a), Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) who benefits from a free trade deal?, Part 1: Macroeconomic effects, http://issuu.com/bertelsmannfoundation/docs/ttip-ged, study 17 June 2013.
- Felbermayr G., Larch M., Flach L., Yalcin E., Benz S. (2013b), Dimensionen und Auswirkungen eines Freihandelsabkommens zwischen der EU und den USA, Studie im Auftrag des Bundesministeriums für Wirtschaft und Technologie, München, http://www.cesifo-group.de/portal/page/portal/DocBaseService/studien/ifo_AH_2013_TAFTA_Endbericht.pdf.
- Federal Register, vol. 77, no. 227, 26 November, 2012, at 70538.
- Final Report, High Level Working Group on Jobs and Growth (11 February 2013), http://www.ustr.gov/.
- Francois J., Manchin M., Norberg H., Pindyuk O., Tomberger P. (2013), Reducing transatlantic barriers to trade and investment – an economic assessment, Center For Economic Policy Research, London, http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2013/march/tradoc 150737.pdf.
- Hamilton D. S. (2014), TTIP’s Geostrategic Implications, in: The Geopolitics of TTIP Repositioning the Transatlantic Relationship of Changing World, ed. D. S. Hamilton, Centre for Transatlantic Relations, Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, John Hopkins University, Washington DC.
- HLWG (2013), Final report of the high level working group on jobs and growth, http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2013/february/tradoc150519.pdf. Jackson R. J. (2013), Global Politics in the 21st Century, Cambridge University Press, New York.
- Krist W. (2013), Globalization and America’s Trade Agreements, John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore.
- Kupchan Ch. A. (2014), Parsing TTIP’s Geopolitical Implications, in: The Geopolitics of TTIP Repositioning the Transatlantic Relationship for a Changing World, ed. D. S. Hamilton, Centre for Transatlantic Relations, Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, John Hopkins University, Washington DC.
- Lamy P. (2013), Putting Geopolitics Back at the Trade Table, speech at the IISS-Oberoi Discussion Forum in Delhi (29 January 2013), http://www.wto.org/english/news_e/sppl_e/sppl264_e.htm, 15 November 2013.
- Lester S., Barbee I. (2013), The Challenge of Cooperation: Regulatory Trade Barriers in the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, “Journal of International Economic Law”, vol. 16, Issue 4, pp. 847–867.
- North American Free Trade Agreement Technical Working Group on Pesticides Five-Year Strategy 2008–2013: Maintaining Progress (2013), http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/pest/_corpplan/nafta-alena-strat-plan/index-eng.php#toc, 15 November 2013.
- OECD (2005), The benefits of liberalising product markets and reducing barriers to international trade and investment: the case of the United States and the European Union, OECD economics department working paper no. 432, http://search.oecd.org/oﬁcialdocuments/displaydocumentpdf/?doclanguage=en&cote=ECO/WKP%282005%2919.
- USTR Announces Agreement With European Union In Beef Hormones Dispute, http://www.ustr.gov/about-us/press-office/press-releases/2009/may/ustr-announces-agreement-european-unionbeef-hormones-, 15 November 2013.
- Prusa T. J., Teh R. (2010), Protection Reduction and Diversion: PTAs and the Incidence of antidumping Disputes, NBER Working Papers 16276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Regulation (EU) 126/2012 of 14 February 2012 amending Regulation (EC) No 889/2008, http://www.fas.usda.gov/organ%20ictrade/Agreement.pdf, 15 November 2013.
- Straubhaar T. (2014), TTIP’s Don’t Lose Momentum!, in: The Geopolitics of TTIP Repositioning the Transatlantic Relationship for a Changing World, ed. D. S. Hamilton, Centre for Transatlantic Relations, Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, John Hopkins University, Washington DC.
- Ries Ch. (2014), The Strategic Significance of TTIP, in: The Geopolitics of TTIP Repositioning the Transatlantic Relationship for a Changing World, ed. D. S. Hamilton, Centre for Transatlantic
- Relations, Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, John Hopkins University, Washington DC.
- The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (2013), Why Does it Matter?, OECD, 13 February 2013, http://www.oecd.org/trade/TTIP.pdf, 15 November 2013.
- USTR Press Release (2012), New United States-Israel Telecommunications Agreement Eases Way for U.S. Exports’, 15 October 2012, http://www.ustr.gov/about-us/press-office/press-releases/2012/october/us-israel-telecomm-mou-eases-way-forexports, 15 November 2013.
- Watson K. W., James S. (2013), Regulatory Protectionism: A Hidden Threat to Free Trade, Policy Analysis 723, 9 April 2013, http://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/regulatory-protectionism-hidden-threat-free-trade, 15 November 2013.
- WTO News Item (2013), Members continue to discuss “good practices” for technical regulations, 17–20 June 2013, http://www.wto.org/english/news_e/news13_e/tbt_17jun13_e.htm, 15 November 2013.
- WTO (2013), Understanding the WTO: principles of the trading system, World Trade Organization, http://www.wto.org/english/thewtoe/whatise/tife/fact2.
- WT/TPR/OV/W/7 (2013), Trade Policy Review Body, Report to the TPRB from the Director-General on Trade-Related Development (Mid-October 2012 to mid-May 2013), 5 July 2013 (13-3559), Page: 1/72.
Publication order reference