Cultural capital of IT developers in Ukraine: exploratory case study
Languages of publication
Article focuses on the analysis of approaches to studying cultural capital of IT developers. Exploratory case study refers to the IT developers’ activity and focuses the cultural capital (CC) of the Ukrainian IT sector. Theoretical foundation of the study is based on the cultural capital theory referring to the value of social relations and networks. Research results demonstrate that Ukrainian IT developers accumulate CC through education: individual, in family, at school and with peers. Cultural capital could be transformed into other forms of capital: economic and social ones.
- Ang S., van Dyne L. (eds.) 2009. Handbook of Cultural Intelligence: Theory Measurement and Application. Routledge.
- Ang S., van Dyne L., Koh C., Ng K.Y., Templer K.J., Tay C., Chandrasekar N.A. 2007. Cultural intelligence: Its measurement and effects on cultural judgment and decision making, cultural adaptation and task performance. Management and Organization Review, 3(3): 335–371.
- Becker G.S. 1994. Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis, with Special Reference to Education, p. 412.
- Boski P., van de Vijver F.J.R., Hurme H., Miluska J. 1999. Perception and evaluation of Polish cultural femininity in Poland, the United States, Finland, and the Netherlands. The Journal of Comparative Social Science, 2(33): 131–161.
- Bourdieu P. 1986. The Forms of Capital. [In:] J.G. Richardson (ed.), Handbook of theory and research for the sociology of education. Greenwood Press, New York, p. 241–258.
- Bourdieu P. 2005. The Social Structures of the Economy. Polity, p. 180.
- Brynjolfsson E., Yang S. 1996. Information Technology and Productivity: A Review of the Literature. Advances in Computers, 46: 179–214.
- Coleman J. 1998. Foundations of Social Theory. Belnap Press, p. 1014.
- Czarnowski S. 2005. Kultura. Wydawnictwo Akademickie ŻAK, p. 210.
- Florida R. 2014. The Rise of the Creative Class-Revisited: Revised and Expanded. Basic Books, p. 512.
- Forester T. 1985. The Information Technology Revolution, p. 696.
- Fukuyama F. 1996. Trust: The Social Virtues and The Creation of Prosperity. 1st ed. Free Press, p. 480.
- Hall E. 1976. Beyond Culture. Anchor Books, New York, p. 320.
- Harrison L.E. 2012. Jews, Confucians, and Protestants: Cultural Capital and the End of Multiculturalism, p. 230.
- Hertel G., Geister S., Konradt U. 2005. Managing virtual teams: A review of current empirical research. Human Resource Management Review, 15: 69–95.
- Hofstede G. 1991. Cultures and Organizations: software of the mind. McGraw Hill Book Company, London, p. 306.
- Huang H., Trauth E.M. 2007. Cultural Influences and Globally Distributed Information Systems Development: Experiences from Chinese IT Professionals. [In:] CPR, p. 36–45.
- Johnson S. 2013. White House Burning: Our National Debt and Why It Matters to You, p. 384.
- Khodadady E., Alaee F.F., Natanzi M. 2011. Factors Underlying the Social and Cultural Capitals of High School Students and Their Relationship with English Achievement. Theory and Practice in Language Studies, 1(11): 1618–1627.
- Kluckhohn C. 1965. Culture and behavior: Collected essays. Free Press, p. 402.
- Koh C., Joseph D., Ang S. 2010. Cultural Intelligence and the Global Information Technology Workforce. [In:] The Handbook of Technology Management: Supply Chain Management, Marketing and Advertising, and Global Management, p. 828–844.
- Landry C. 2012. The Creative City: A Toolkit for Urban Innovators, p. 352.
- Mincer J. 1993. Studies in Human Capital. Economists of the Twentieth Century, 1: 448.
- Minevich M., Richter F. 2005. The Global outsourcing Report – Opportunities, costs and risks. The CIO Insight Whiteboard.
- Patel D., Lawson-Johnson C. 2004. The Effect of Cultural Differences on Software Development. [In:] Interdisciplinary Software Engineering Research. WISER, p. 250–263.
- Putnam R.D. 1995. Bowling alone: America’s declining social capital. Journal of Democracy, 6: 65–78.
- Scharmer O., Kaufer K. 2013. Leading from the Emerging Future: From Ego-System to Eco-System Economies. 1st ed. Berrett-Koehler Publishers, p. 304.
- Schultz T.P. 1993. Human Capital Investment in Women and Men: Micro and Macro Evidence of Economic Returns, p. 70.
- Smith A. 2014. The Wealth of Nations. Create Space Independent Publishing Platform, p. 524.
- Thomas D.C., Peterson M.F. 2014. Cross-Cultural Management: Essential Concepts. 3rd ed. SAGE Publications, p. 344.
- Throsby D. 2010. The Economics of Cultural Policy. Cambridge University Press, p. 291.
- van Oorschot W. 2007. Culture and social policy: A developing field of study. International Journal of Social Welfare, 16: 129–139, doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2397.2006.00451.x.
- Wacquant L. 1995. Pierre Bourdieu and Democratic Politics: The Mystery of Ministry, p. 224.
- Westlund H. 2006. Social Capital and the Creative Class. ITPS, Swedish Institute For Growth Policy Studies. Working Paper R2006:001 (http://www.tillvaxtanalys.se/download/18.56ef093c139bf3ef8902556/1349863306996/social-capital-and-the-creative-class-06.pdf).
Publication order reference