The Educational System of the Palestinian Minority in Israel ‘under Occupation’: Educational Autonomy as a Right for Minorities
Languages of publication
One of the foundation stones of a democratic state is the granting minorities an autonomous educational system, so as to assure that the hegemonic group does not take over the learning contents that are important to the formation of a cultural-religious-national identity that meets the needs of these minority groups. This research study will examine the case of the Palestinian minority who are citizens of the democratic State of Israel and will attempt to examine the extent to which this right to an autonomous educational system is granted. Who decides the goals and contents of learning of the ‘Arab educational system’ in Israel? The research study will examine the degree of desire and realization of these unique needs. It was found in this research study that the Arab educational system in Israel is still controlled by the Jewish majority and the educational policy is determined from topdown, as expressed in the goals and contents of the studies.
- Abu Asba K., Attitudes of Different Factors in Arab Society on the Question of an Alternative Structure for the Arab Educational System in Israel: Summative Report. Israel: Follow-up after Issues of Arab Education in Israel, Institute for Research, Planning, and Educational Counseling, Gat: Masser 2003. (Hebrew)
- Abu Asba K., The School Principal is Subject to Great Pressures on the Part of the Clans, Another Country 2004. (Hebrew)
- Abu Asba K., Arab Education in Israel: Dilemmas of a National Minority, Florsheimer Institute, Jerusalem 2005. (Hebrew)
- Abu Asba K., The Status and Level of Operations of the Arab Educational System in Israel, 2007. (Hebrew)
- Abu Ria A., To Be an Arab Citizen in Israel: Characteristics, Challenges, and Obstacles, 2004. (Hebrew)
- Abu-Saad I., Multicultural Education and the Palestinian Arab Minority in Israel: The Issue of Bedouin Arab Education in the Negev, [in:] Education in a Multicultural Society: Pluralism and Points of Encounter between Social Rifts, Ed. P. Pery, Carmel, Jerusalem 2007. (Hebrew)
- Abu Shindi I., Educational Coping with the Arab-Jewish and Social-Economic Schism, Multidisciplinary Thoughts in Humanistic Education, 2010, 5. (Hebrew)
- Abu-Nimer M., Education for Coexistence in Israel: Potential and Challenges, [in:] Reconciliation, Justice, and Coexistence: Theory and Practice, Ed. M. Abu-Nimer, Lexington Books, Lanham – Maryland 2001.
- Agbaria A.K., Arab Civil Society and Education in Israel: The Arab Pedagogical Council as a Contentious Performance to Achieve National Recognition, Race, Ethnicity, and Education, 2013.
- Agbaria A.K., Introduction: The Policy of Training of Arab Teachers in Israel – The Demand for National and Pedagogical Uniqueness, [in:] Training Teachers in Palestinian Society in Israel – Institutional Practices and Educational Policy, Ed. A.K. Agbaria, Resling 2013.
- Agbaria A.K., Jabareen Y., Policy of Training Arab Teachers in Israel in the Mirror of the Right to Education: Issues of Governance as an Expression of Recognition of the National-Cultural Uniqueness, Journal for Study and Research in Education, 2015. (Hebrew)
- Agbaria A.K., Mahjana I., Arab Education in Israel, between the Discourse of Achievement and the Discourse of Recognition, Two Thousand: Multidisciplinary Journal for Review, Philosophy, and Literature, 2009, 34. (Hebrew)
- Al-Haj M., The Situation of the Arab Education. Identity, Coexistence and Contents of Education, The National Committee of Chairmen of Arab Local Authorities and the Follow Up Committee for Arab Education, 1988, 1. (Arabic)
- Al-Haj M., Trouble of Employment among Arab Academics in Israel, [in:] Arab Academics in Israel: Main Characteristics, Potential of Graduates, and Situation, Ed. M. Al-Haj, The Jewish-Arab Center, Haifa University, Haifa 1988. (Hebrew)
- Al-Haj M., The Political Organization of the Arab Population in Israel, The Development of a Center in the Margins, 1992. (Hebrew)
- Al-Haj M., Arab Educational System in Israel: Issues and Trends, Floresheimer Institute for Policy Researches, Jerusalem 1994. (Hebrew)
- Al-Haj M., Education, Empowerment, and Control: The Case of the Arabs in Israel, State University of New York Press, Albany, New York 1995.
- Al-Haj M., Kinship and Modernization in Developing Societies: The Emergence of Instrumentalized Kinships, Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 1995 October, 26(3).
- Al-Haj M., Education among the Arabs in Israel: Control and Social Change, Magnes Press, Jerusalem 1996. (Hebrew)
- Al-Haj M., Higher Education among the Arabs in Israel: Situation, Problems, and Trends, Haifa University, Haifa 2001. (Hebrew)
- Amara M., Saban I., The Status of the Arabic Language in Israel: Law, Reality, and Boundaries of Use in Law to Change the Reality, State and Society, 2004, 4. (Hebrew)
- Arian A., Ben-Nun P., Barnea S., The Measure of Israeli Democracy, Adults and Youths, 2004. (Hebrew)
- Avnon D., The Non-Democratic Aspect of the Basic Laws on the Topics of the Rights of Man, Politics, 1998, 2. (Hebrew)
- Barak A., The Values of the State of Israel as a Jewish and Democratic State, Multidisciplinary Thinking in Humanistic Education, 2011, 6. (Hebrew)
- Bargouti S., Israeli Educational Core Requires Fair Inclusion of the Arab Public, Multidisciplinary Thought in Humanistic Education, 2011, 6. (Hebrew)
- Boymel Y., Principles of the Policy of Discrimination towards the Arabs in Israel, 1948-1968, The New East, 2002.
- Brenner M., Frisch S., Zionism: A Brief History, Markus Wiener Publishers, 2003.
- Bruner J., Peled Y., On Autonomy, Abilities, and Democracy: Criticism of Multiculturalism on
- Liberalism, [in:] Multiculturalism in a Democratic and Jewish State Mounter, Eds. M. Sagi, A. Shamir, Ramot, Tel Aviv 1998. (Hebrew)
- Cohen, 1980, in: I. Zalkovitz, In the Search for Identity: Islam, Nationalism, and Armed Struggle in the Fatah Movement, 1959-1968, [in:] The New East, Eds. B. Araki Kolerman, M. Hatina, The Open University, 2008. (Hebrew)
- Dahan Y., Companionship? Depends for Whom? The Sting, 2010 November 16, Retrieved on April 30, 2012 from: www.haokets.org/2010/11/16 / שקל-אלף -35- תמורת-מנהיג (Hebrew)
- Donyets Kedar, 2012, in: H. Gavarin, The Nakba, Law, and Loyalty: The Hobbesian Moment of the Palestinians in Israel, Theory and Criticism: An Israeli Stage, 2014 Spring, 42. (Hebrew) Dovrat Report, 2005
- החינוך משרד - לחינוך הלאומי ת התוכנית
- Dror Y., Interconnected Vessels in National Education: The Zionist Story, Magnes Press, Jerusalem 2007. (Hebrew)
- Eisenstadt, 1989, in: A. Ghanem, M. Levin-Rosales, Game of Identities: The Construction of Identity among Palestinian Women Citizens of Israel Who Studied in Schools in the Jewish Sector, Trends, 2015 May, 51. (Hebrew)
- Feldman E., Ethnicity, Politics, and Education – The First Decade of Independent Education, 1953-1963, From Generation to Generation, 2007, 31. (Hebrew)
- Gabizon R., Balfour N., Between Demand for Liberty and Autonomy of Arab Education in Israel: Rights and Possibilities, 2005. (Hebrew)
- Ghanem A., Mustafa M., The Palestinians in Israel – The Policy of the Minority in the Ethnic State, Medar – The Palestinian Center for the Study of Israeliness, 2009. (Arabic)
- Gilat I., To Be Close: First Aid for the Teacher in Coping with the Students’ Troubles, Keter, Tel Aviv 2007. (Hebrew)
- Golan-Agnon D., Why Are the Arab Students in Israel Discriminated Against? [in:] Inequality in Education, Ed. D. Golan-Agnon, Babel, Tel Aviv 2004. (Hebrew)
- Gross Z., State Religious Education in Israel: Between Tradition and Modernity, [in:] Education as a Social Challenge, Eds. Z. Gross, Y. Dror, Collection of Articles on State Religious
- Education and on Informal Education in Memory of Professor Moti Bar-Lev, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 2004. (Hebrew)
- Hamisi R., Strategies of Settlement in the Occupied Territories and Implication on the Main Planning and Development in Palestine, Journal for the Research of Palestinianism, 1998 Winter, 10(37). (Arabic)
- Hatav N., The Future Orientation of Youths in Arab Society in Israel: Characteristics and Factors, M.A. Thesis, The Open University, Jerusalem 1988. (Hebrew)
- Ichilov O., Establishment of Public Education in Israel and Retreat from It, [in:] Privatization and Commerce in Public Education in Israel, Ed. O. Ichilov, Ramot, Tel Aviv 2010. (Hebrew)
- Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Zionist Leaders: David Ben-Gurion 1886-1973, Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs Website, Retrieved 13 July 2011.
- Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs (n.d.) Declaration of Establishment of State of Israel, Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs Website, 14 May 1948, Retrieved 8 April 2012.
- Jabareen Y., Law and Education: Critical Perspectives on Arab Education in Israel, American Behavioral Scientist, 2006, 49(8).
- Jabareen Y., On the Constitutional Status of the Arab Minority in Israel: New Motion, State and Society, 2010, 7(1). (Hebrew)
- Jabareen Y., Critical Perspectives on Law, Equal Citizenship and Transformation, [in:] Plurality and Citizenship in Israel, Ed. D. Ivanov, 2012, 68.
- Jabareen Y., Agbaria A.K., Education on Hold; Government Policy and Civil Initiatives for the Promotion of Arab Education in Israel, Haifa University, The Faculty of Law, The Clinic for the Rights of the Palestinian Arab Minority, Drasat: Arab Center for Law and Policy, 2010. (Hebrew)
- Jabareen Y., Agbaria A., Autonomy for Arab Education in Israel. Rights and Possibilities, Knowledge Discovery, 2014 Spring, 5. (Hebrew)
- Jamal A., Liberal Zionism: Judgmental Enlightenment and the Challenge of Multiculturalism in Israel, State and Society, 2004, 4. (Hebrew)
- Jamal A., On the Patterns of the Establishment of the National Inequality in Israel, 2004. (Hebrew)
- Jamal A., Citizenship Lexicon for Arab Schools in Israel, Gilo Center for Civic Education and Democracy, Jerusalem 2005.
- Jamal A., Struggle over Time and the Power of Temporariness: Jews and Palestinians in the Maze of History, [in:] Men in the Sun, Eds. H. Perach, T. Ben Tzi, Herzeliya: Museum, 2009. (Hebrew)
- Kalai H., The End of the Race is Determined by the Beginning Thought, Journal of the Law Bar in Israel, 2014, 23. (Hebrew)
- Kalai H., The Freedom of Thought and the Freedom Not to Think: Theoretical Aspects of the Right to Freedom and the Right to Education, Opinion: Multidisciplinary Journal for Education, Society, and Culture, 2014, 6, Fall. (Hebrew)
- Katz Y. (Ed.), Towards an Educational Revolution, Following the Van Lear Conference for Education on the Implementation of the Dovrat, Report, 2006. (Hebrew)
- Kimerling B., Migdal Y.S., Palestinians: A Nation in Formation, Keter Press, Jerusalem 1991. (Hebrew)
- Koren H., The Identity as Awareness: The Palestinians and the Arab Citizens of Israel – Between Unity and Uniqueness, National Security, 2009 August, 7. (Hebrew)
- Lautman D., Education as the True Way to Close Gaps and Promote Society, Multidisciplinary Thought in Humanistic Education, 2009, 4. (Hebrew)
- Lisk, 1990: 9-39 'עמ ,( 1990 ,עובד עם הוצאת :אביב תל) יתר בעומס חברה – ישראל :באוטופיה מצוקות ,הורוביץ דן ,ליס ק משה ..ודמוקרטית יהודית כמדינה ישראל מדינת .(ב חלק) א חלק
- Lustick I., Arabs in the Jewish State: Israel's Control of a National Minority, University of Texas Press, Austin, Texas 1980.
- Mahajana I., The Declared Policy in the Training of the Arab Teachers in Israel to Cope with
- Students in Distress and in Crisis, [in:] The Training of Teachers in Palestinian Society in Israel, Ed. A. Agbaria, Ressling 2013. (Hebrew)
- Mari S., Arab Education in Israel, Syracuse University Press, Syracuse – New York – Boulder 1978. Markman, Yonah, 2010
- ... אלפיי ם .להדרה הכלה בין :בישראל חינוכית וליבה תרבותיות-רב , לאומיות , 2009 . י,ויונה .נ מרקמן Mazoy. a et al., אוניברסיטת הוצאת ... החינו ך לחקר המרכז :חיפה .וציפיות שאלו ת ,מעמ ד :בישראל הערבי המור ה בישראל המורים והסתדרות חיפה , p. 183-214, - 1995 ,אליאס אנדרה ,מזאוו י . Mazoy. a et al., 2002:
- . מ :בתוך ,"בחינוך הפמיניסטי המחקר :מבו א" ... - ... 27-952 פורמאל י והבלתי הפורמאלי בחינוך מגדריים היבטים הספר-ובית הוראה כוח ,מיגדר :בישראל הערבי החינוך . 2002 .אנדרה ,מזאו י .... .(עורכות) פרי .ופ צלרמאיר .כשד ה
- Meehan, 1999, in: Abu-Saad, 2007. :בישרא ל הפלסטיני והמיעוט תרבותי-רב חינו ך .( 2007 ) ' א ,סעד-אבו 'עמ ,כרמל :חיפה ,תרבויות מרובת בחברה חינו ך .(עורכ ת) פרי 'פ :בתוך .בנגב בדואי-הערבי החינוך סוגיית p. 142-125.
- Morris B., Victimization, Am Oved 2003. (Hebrew)
- National Task Force for the Advancement of Education in Israel, 2005.
- Noyberger B., Minorities and Democracy, [in:] Knowledge, Society, and Regime, Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport, Center for Explanation/Service of Publications, Old City Press, Jerusalem 1995. (Hebrew)
- Oron Y., Israeli Identities: Jews and Arabs opposite the Mirror and the Other, Education and Its Environment, 2010, 32. (Hebrew)
- Oron Y., Between Jewishness and Israeliness. Relation of Jewish Students in Israel to Nation, State, Land, and Religion. Identities in Formation in Israeli Culture, The Open University, UK 2013. (Hebrew)
- Ozacky-Lazar S., The Military Government as a Mechanism of the Control of the Arab Citizens, 1948-1958, A New East, 2012, 43. (Hebrew)
- Pinson H., Anon D. (Eds.), Citizenship, Civil Society, and Education: The Israeli Case in the Mirror of Western Democracies, [in:] The Language of the Citizen in Israel, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 2006. (Hebrew)
- Piron S., Educational Core: On the Importance of the Cultural Individual, Personal Development, and the Scholastic Level, Multidisciplinary Thinking in Humanistic Education, 2011, 6. (Hebrew)
- Portogez, חובר ת ,ישראל :מתוך .בישראל חד ש שמאל של הייחוד י המקרה :חד ש ישראלי שמאל תנועת פורטוגז עד י
- חזן מאיר :עריכת . 2013 אביב 21
- Rabin Y., The Right to Education, Li-On Sarigim, Nebo 2002. (Hebrew)
- Rawls J., A Theory of Justice, Harvard University Press, Cambridge 1971.
- Rom A., The Process of the Development of Curricula in Five Chosen Countries, Ministry of Education, Jerusalem 2009. (Hebrew)
- Rottenberg N., Shared Educational Core for the Children of Israel: Obstacles and Overcoming Them, [in:] Towards an Educational Revolution, Ed. D. Inbar, Van Lear Institute, 2006, p. 214-227. (Hebrew)
- Saar A., Koya: On Strong Women in Palestinian Society in Israel, [in:] Generations, Spaces, Identities: Contemporary Looks on Society and Culture in Israel, Eds. H. Herzog, T. Kochavi, S. Zelniker, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 2007. (Hebrew)
- Saban I., The Collective Rights of the Palestinian Arab Minority: What There Is, What There Isn’t, and the Taboo, Studies in Law, 2002, 26, 1. (Hebrew)
- Saban I., 2003 לישראל והכניסה האזרחות חוק ?משפח ה או מדינ ה
- Sheferman K.T., Arab Identity in a Jewish and Democratic State, Parliament: Portrait of the Israeli Public, 2008 April, 58. (Hebrew)
- Shenhar Committee Report, 2012. Coeditor, Comparative Education Review [USA] (2009- 2012). International .... the Shenhar Committee Report in State Junior High Schools' Shwade U., Shavit Y., Integration of Jews and Arabs in the Schools in Israel, Taub Center for the Research of Social Policy in Israel, 2014. (Hebrew)
- Smooha S., Arabs and Jews in Israel, 1989, 1, WestView Press.
- Smooha S., The Viability of Ethnic Democracy as a Mode of Conflict-Management: Comparing
- Israel and Northern Ireland, Comparing Jewish Societies, 1997.
- Smooha S., Measures of Jewish-Arab Relations in Israel, Haifa University, Haifa 2004. (Hebrew)
- Stendel O., Arabs of Israel: Between Hammer and Anvil, Academon, 1992. (Hebrew)
- Stern Y., Proposal of a Basic Law: Trampling of Minorities, Haaretz, 2012 April, 22. (Hebrew)
- Talshir G., Citizenship, Civil Society, and Education: The Israeli Case in the Mirror of Western Democracies, [in:] The Language of the Citizen in Israel, Eds. G. Talshir, D. Anon, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 2006. (Hebrew)
- Tomasevski K., Globalizing What: Education as a Human Right or as a Traded Service? Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies, 2004, 12(1).
- Tzartzur S., Arab Education: A Picture of the Situation and a Look to the Future, [in:] Jubilee for the Educational Systems in Israel, Ed. E. Peled, Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport, Ministry of Defense, Jerusalem 1999. (Hebrew)
- Yiftachel O., Stateless Citizenship: The Palestinian-Arab Citizens of Israel, 2002.
- Yonah Y., Goodman Y., Mix of Identities: Critical Discussion of Religiosity and Secularism in Israel, Van Lear Institute, HaKibbutz HaMeuchad Press, 2004. (Hebrew)
- Zadja J., Daun H., Saha L.J. (Eds.), Nation-Building, Identity and Citizenship Education, Cross Cultural Perspectives, 2009.
- Zilbersheid U., The Legal-Political Development of the Declaration of Independence – Victory of the Perception of Bourgeoisie Democracy, Democratic Culture, 2009, 12, 7. (Hebrew)
- Zimran I., There Is Another Way – Self-Education of Teachers for Meaningful and Value-Oriented Teaching, [in:] Values and Education for Values: Issues in Teacher In-service Training, Ed. M. Bar-Lev, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem 1999. (Hebrew)
- Zisnavin D., The Jewish Educational System in Israel from the Days of the Initial Settlement until Today, [in:] Changes in Education, Eds. Dror, Nevo, Shapira, The Open University, UK 2011. (Hebrew)
Publication order reference