Niezamierzone skutki stosowania testów wysokiej stawki. Lekcja z amerykańskiej reformy NCLB
Languages of publication
Educational decision makers willingly draw on solutions adopted in other countries. It was also the case in Polish educational reform started in late 90s. Since the introduction of the reform, Poland joined countries whose educational system is divided into three levels, each ending with an exit exams and core curriculum is set to teaching standards. The exams seem to be the most important element of the Polish reform. While the designers of educational policies are often inspired by the experiences of other countries during the planning phase, they are less willing to learn from them when it comes to predicting outcomes of the reform. A good case to analyze potential consequences of high-stakes testing is United States, where standardized tests have been administered since the beginning of the era of mass education. In this paper I will analyze the effects of the last, most controversial federal reform, commonly known as No Child Left Behind introduced in 2002. Findings of the study might be used to predict potential unintended effects of using the high stakes tests for accountability policy. The article addresses the problem of test scores inflation as well as the factors which may accelerate it.
- Amrein A.L., Berliner D.C., High-stakes testing, uncertainty, and student learning, Education Policy Analysis Archives, 2002, 10(18).
- Cannell J.J., Nationally Normed Elementary Achievement Testing in America's Public Schools: How all 50 states are above the national average? Educational Measurement, 1988, 7(2).
- Carnoy M., Loeb S.D., External Accountability Affect Student Outcomes? A cross-state analysis, Education and Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 2002, 24(4).
- Choińska-Mika J. i in., Realizacja podstawy programowej z historii w gimnazjach, Instytut Badań Edukacyjnych, Warszawa 2013.
- Crocker L., Teaching for the test: How and why test preparation in appropriate, [w]: Defending standardized testing, red. R. Phelps, L. Erlbaum Associates, New York 2005.
- Darling-Hammond L., From "Separate but equal" to "No child left behind": the collision of new standards and old inequalities, [w:] Many children left behind: how the No Child Left Behind Act is damaging our children and our schools, red. D. Meier, G.H. Wood, Beacon Press, Boston 2004.
- Darling-Hammond L., Adamson F., Beyond the bubble test: how performance assessments support 21st century learning, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco 2014.
- Dee T.S., Jacob B., The impact of No Child Left Behind on student achievement, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 2011, 30(3).
- Dolata R., Cicha rewolucja w oświacie – proces róŜnicowania się gimnazjów w duŜych miastach, Edukacja, Studia, Badania, Innowacje, 2010, 1(105).
- Duncan G.J., Magnuson K., The Nature and Impact of Early Achievement Skills, Attention
- Skills, and Behavior Problems, [w:] Whither opportunity? Rising inequality, schools, and children's life chances, red. G.J. Duncan, R.J. Murnane, Russell Sage Foundation, New York 2011.
- Duncan G.J., Murnane R.J., Whither opportunity? Rising inequality, schools, and children's life chances, Russell Sage Foundation, New York 2011.
- Eurydice Network, National Testing of Pupils in Europe: Objectives, Organisation and Use of Results, 2009.
- Figlio D.N., Testing, Crime, and Punishment, Journal of Public Economics, 2006, 90(4-5).
- Gallagher C.J., Reconciling a Tradition of Testing with a New, Educational Psychology Review, 2003, 15(1).
- Goodman D., Hambleton R.K., Some misconceptions about large-scale educational assessments, [w:] Defending standardized testing, red. R.P. Phelps, Mahwah, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, New York 2005.
- Haladyna T., Nolen S., Haas N., Raising standardized achievement test scores and the origins of test score pollution, Educational Researcher, 1991, 20(5).
- Haney W., The Myth of the Texas Miracle in Education, Education Policy Analysis Archives, 2000, 8(41).
- Hess F.M., Petrilli M.J., No Child Left Behind primer, Peter Lang, New York 2006.
- Holcombe R., Jennings J., Koretz D., The roots of score inflation: An examination of opportunities in two states’ tests, [w:] Charting reform, achieving equity in a diverse nation, red. G. Sunderman, CT: Information Age Publishing, Greenwich 2013.
- Horn R.A., Understanding educational reform: a reference handbook, ABC-CLIO, California, Santa Barbara 2002.
- Jacob B.A., Accountability, incentives and behavior: the impact of high-stakes testing in the Chicago Public Schools, Journal of Public Economics, 2005, 89.
- Jones G.M., Jones B.D., Hargrove T.Y., The unintended consequences of high-stakes testing, Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield Pubishers, Oxford 2003.
- Klein S.P., Hamilton L.S., McCaffrey D.F., Stecher B.M., What Do Test Scores in Texas Tell Us? CA: RAND Corporation, Santa Monica 2000.
- Konarzewski K., Przygotowanie uczniów do egzaminu: pokusa łatwego zysku, ISP, Warszawa 2008.
- Koniewski M., Majkut P., Skórska P., ZróŜnicowane funkcjonowanie zadań testowych ze względu na wersję testu, Edukacja, 2014, 1(126).
- Koretz D.M., Measuring up: what educational testing really tells us, Mass. Harvard University Press, Cambridge 2008.
- Lazarin M., Testing Overload in America's Schools. Center for American Progress 2014. https://cdn.americanprogress.org/wpcontent/ uploads/2014/10/LazarinOvertestingReport.pdf [dostęp: 27.02.2016].
- Lee J., Tracking achievement gaps and assessing the impact of NCLB on the gaps: An indepth look into national and state reading and math outcome trends, The Civil Rights Project at Harvard University, Harvard 2006.
- Lee J., Is Test-Driven External Accountability Effective? Synthesizing the Evidence from Cross-State Causal-Comparative and Correlational Studies, Review of Educational Research,2008, 78(3).
- Lee J., Reeves T., Revisiting the Impact of NCLB High-Stakes School Accountability, Capacity, and Resources: State NAEP 1990-2009 Reading and Math Achievement Gaps and Trends, Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 2012, 34.
- Madaus G.F., Russell M.K., Higgins J., The paradoxes of high stakes testing: How they affect students, their parents, teachers, principals, schools, and society. IAP. 2009.
- Meyer H., Rowan B., The new institutionalism in education, State University of New York Press, Albany 2006.
- Phelps R.P., Kill the messenger: the war on standardized testing, Transaction Publishers, New York – New Brunswick 2003.
- Phelps R.P., Defending standardized testing, Mahwah, L. Erlbaum Associates, New York 2005.
- Philips G.W., The Lake Wobegon Effect, Educational Measurement: Issues and Practice, 1990, 3(9).
- Pokropek A., Matura z języka polskiego. Wybrane problemy psychometryczne, XVII Konferencja Diagnostyki Edukacyjnej, Kraków 2011.
- Ravitch D., The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice are Undermining Education, Basic Books, New York 2010.
- Reardon S.F., The widening academic – achievement gap between the rich and the poor: New evidence and possible explanations, [w:] Whither Opportunity? Rising Inequality and the Uncertain Life Chances of Low Income Children, red. R.M. Murnane, G. Duncan, Russell Sage Foundation, New York 2011.
- Reardon S.F., Bischoff K., Income Inequality and Income Segregation, American, Journal of Sociology, 2011, 116(4).
- Reardon S.F., Greenberg E.H., Kalogrides D., Shores K.A., Valentino R.A., Left behind? The effect of No Child Left Behind on academic achievement gaps, Center for Education Policy Analysis, Stanford CA 2013.
- Rosenshine B., High-stakes testing: Another analysis, Education Policy Analysis Archives, 2003, 11(24).
- Saez E., Zucman G., Wealth Inequality in the United States since 1913: Evidence From Capitalized Income Data, Working paper 20625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge 2014.
- Suen H.K., Yu L., Chronic Consequences of High-Stakes Testing? Lessons from the Chinese Civil
- Service Exam, Comparative Education Review, 2006, 50(1).
- Tyack D.B., Cuban L., Tinkering toward utopia: a century of public school reform, Mass. Harvard University Press, Cambridge 1995.
- Thomas M.H., Bobbit Nolen N.S., Haas N.S., Raising Standardized Achievement Test Scores and the Origins of Test Score Pollution, Educational Researcher, 1991, 20(5).
- Vasquez J.H., Darling-Hammond L., Accountability Texas-Style: The Progress and Learning of Urban Minority Students in a High-Stakes Testing Context, Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 2008, 30(2).
- Wei X., Are More Stringent NCLB State Accountability Systems Associated With Better Student Outcomes? An Analysis of NAEP Results Across States, Educational Policy, 2012, 26.
Publication order reference