Defining the Role of the Counselor
Doradca – próba określenia sensu jego roli
Languages of publication
In the professional literature regarding the various aspects of the nature on counseling, two terms that define the work of the school counselor stand out in particular: guidance and counseling (Kligman, 1990). The role of the educational counselor could be defined as a unique individual contact which purpose is to promote change and growth in three aspects: personal development, social adjustment and professional development. By this definition, counseling is perceived as a dynamic process characterized by the change in the consultee (Kligman, 1990). Educational counseling is meant to advance the emotional, cognitive and social development of the pupil population in the education system, and to lead the construction of an environment that allows for mental well-being for those growing in it, Educational counseling is aimed to assist the student as an individual, and to the school as a social-organizational system, to reach maximum functionality and to best extract their capabilities from emotional well-being in a supportive and accepting environment (Shefi, Psychilogical Counseling Service (Shefi) policy issue: Work as a Consultant in early childhood, 2002). The counselor is the system’s mental well-being go-to man. His availability inside the school faculty allows him to assist both the individual and the environment, to take the best actions whilst rapidly responding to the student, the faculty and the parents. His location as a faculty member enables him to simultaneously see various, and sometimes opposite, needs of all the target audiences, and to hold a balanced perspective on regulation, to arbitrate and mediate opposite stances. The counselor is a liaison with a systematic viewpoint from inside the school and between the school and the community. His professional purpose regards the entire student population whilst taking into account their various needs and the obligated response these variation dictate.
- Amir R., You Should Know, [in:] Kindergarten Management Manual, Ministry of Education Sport, Pedagogical Administration, Department of pre-school, Jerusalem 1997.
- Dashevsky E., Early Childhood Educational Consulting, Echo Garden, 2006.
- Epstein A., The Intentional Teacher. Choosing the Best Strategies for Young Children’s Learning. Social Skills and Understanding, NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children), 2007.
- Friedman J., Horowitz T., Culture and climate effectiveness at schools, Jerusalem 1984.
- Ganz Aloni R., The world of kindergarten, [in:] Thesis for Master's Degree in the Humanities, Tel Aviv 2003.rl.
- Klein P., Yablon J., Research to Practice in Early Childhood Education, [in:] The Committee to investigate ways of early childhood education, Science Education, Jerusalem 2007.
- Kligman A., Psychological counseling principles, approaches, and methods of intervention, Ra-mot, Tel Aviv 1990.
- Kuban L., An international and historical perspective on national education reforms, Jerusalem 2006.
- Margalit M., The Committee Report to examine maximization of abilities of students with lear-ning disabilities, Ministry of Education 1997.
- Ministry of Education, The basic program in pre-primary education, Department for Pre-School Education 2000.
- Ministry of Education, Standards-based education system, Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport, the pedagogical Director, Jerusalem 2005.
- Ministry of Education, Standards for professional practice of educational counseling, Ministry of Education, Jerusalem 2009.
- Ministry of Education, Second assistant reform, leading kindergarten teachers. Guide to supe-rvisor Department Preschool, Ministry of Education, 2015.
- Oshrat Z., Stress and exhaustion in kindergarten, in: S. Kalman, A. Peleg, Ramot, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 2000.
- Saracho N.O., Spodek B., Professional and the preparation of early childhood education practi-tioners, Early child development and care, 2003.
- Shefi, Psychilogical Counseling Service (Shefi) policy issue: Work as a Consultant in early child-hood. Retrieved from Shefinet 2002: http://cms.education.gov.il/EducationCMS/ Units/Shefi/gapim/yeutz/Tafkidim/MdiniyutKdam.htm
- Shefi, Standards for professional practice in educational counseling, Jerusalem 2009.
- State Controler Report, 401(4) of educational counseling at children's schools and kindergar-tens, Ministry of Education 2013.
Publication order reference