A Professional Learning Community as a Factor of the Professional Development of Teachers
Profesjonalna społeczność ucząca się jako kontekst rozwoju zawodowego nauczycieli
Languages of publication
The article presents the importance of the professional learning community in the school framework. It discusses the creation of a learning community, its characteristics, advantages, and the challenges in the leadership and establishment of a professional learning community. In addition, the article presents the importance of the introduction of a learning community into educational frameworks and provides a solution to the resources that pertain to the time or systemic flexibility.This article highlights the importance of collaborations, peer learning, and a productive discourse among teacher colleague
- Admiraal W., Lockhorst D., van der Pol J., An Expert Study of a Descriptive Model of Teacher Communities, Learning Environment Research, 2012, 15.
- Aubusson P.S., Frances D.S., Brady L., Action Learning in Teacher Learning Community Formation: Informative or Transformative? Teacher Development, 2007, 11(2).
- Balenga A., Landler-Perdo G., Shachar M., Learning Communities of Teachers: An Invited Review as Background Material for the Work of the Language and Literacy Committee, Initiative of Applied Research in Education, The Israeli National Academy of the Sciences, 2011, http://education.academy.ac.il (Hebrew).
- Bar-Yaakov O., Tubin D., The Evolution of Success, [in:] Leading Schools Successfully – Stories from the Field, Eds. C. Day, D. Gurr, Routledge, London, UK 2014.
- Birenbaum M., Assessment for Learning and Characteristics of a School Professional Community and Class Culture that Empowers It, [in:] Assessment, Jewish Education, and the History of Education: A Collection in the Memory of Professor Aryeh Levy, Ed. Y. Keshti, Tel Aviv University, the School of Education and Ramot Press, Tel Aviv 2009.
- Borko H., Professional Development and Teacher Learning: Mapping the Terrain, Educational Researcher, 2004, 33(8).
- Borko H., Jacobs J., Koellner K., Contemporary Approaches to Teacher Professional Development, [in:] International Encyclopedia of Education, Eds. P. Peterson, E. Baker, B. McGaw, Oxford 2010, 7.
- De Jong O., Empowering Teachers for Innovations: The Case of Online Teacher Learning Communities, Creative Education, 2012, 3, Supplement.
- DuFour R., What Is a “Professional Learning Community”? Educational Leadership, May 2004, 61(8) .
- Farnsworth V., Kleanthous I., Wenger-Trayner E., Communities of Practice as a Social Theory of Learning: a Conversation with Etienne Wenger, British Journal of Educational Studies,
- Kaney S., Ecological Thinking – A New Approach to Educational Change, Klil and Mofet Institute, Tel Aviv 2006 (Hebrew).
- Khoo E., Cowie B., Analysing an Online Learning Community from Personal, Interpersonal and Community Planes of Development, [in:] Proceedings of Global Learn Asia Pacific 2010, Eds. Z. Abbas et al. (p. 4222-4231), AACE. Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/34523
- Kurland H., Peretz H., Hertz-Lazarowitz R., Leadership Style and Organizational Learning: The Mediate Effect of School Vision, Journal of Educational Administration, 2010, 48(1).
- Leahy S., William D., From Teachers to Schools: Scaling Up Professional Development for Formative Assessment, [in:] Assessment and learning (2nd edition), Ed. J. Gardner, Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA 2012.
- Lomos C., Hofman R., Bosker R., Professional Communities and Student Achievement: A Meta-Analysis, School Effectiveness and School Improvement, 2011, 22.
- Mushayikwa E., Lubben F., Self-Directed Professional Development – Hope for Teachers Working In Deprived Environments, Teaching and Teacher Education, 2009, 25.
- Nehring J., Fitzsimons G., The Professional Learning Community as Subversive Activity: Countering the Culture of Conventional Schooling, Professional Development in Education,
- , 37(4).
- Schechter C., Learning from Success as Leverage for a Professional Learning Community: Exploring an Alternative Perspective of School Improvement Process, Teachers College Record, 2010, 112, 1.
- Sebastian J., Allensworth E., The Influence of Principal Leadership on Classroom Instruction and Student Learning: A Study of Mediated Pathways to Learning, Educational Administration Quarterly, 2012, 48.
- Shulman L.S., Learning Communities and Communities of Teachers, Mandel Institute, Jerusalem 1996 (Hebrew).
- Sjoer E., Meirink J., Understanding the Complexity of Teacher Interaction in a Teacher Professional Learning Community, European Journal of Teacher Education, 2016, 39(1).
- Thoonen E.E.J., Sleegers P.J.C., Oort F.J., Peetsma T.T.D., Building School-Wide Capacity for Improvement: The Role of Leadership, School Organizational Conditions, and Teacher Factors,
- School Effectiveness and School Improvement, 2012, 23.
- Timperley H., Teacher Professional Learning and Development, Educational Practices Series, 18, International Academy of Education and International Bureau of Education, Brussels 2008.
- Williams D., Urban Education and Professional Learning Communities, The Delta Kappan Gamma Bulletin, 2013.
- Yechieli T., How to Have Constructivist Learning, Echo of Education, 2008, 82(4), (Hebrew).
Publication order reference