The Learning Community’s Program – a Fresh Approach to the Single Teacher
Program wspólnoty uczącej się – nowe podejście do pojedynczego nauczyciela
Languages of publication
Promoting physics studies depends highly on the teacher’s instruction quality. This paper re-examines the influence of participation in a learning community on the teacher’s professional development. As an outcome, improving his students’ physics learning abilities, in light of theories on the process of change, is obtained thanks to the teacher participating the progra Daphne Cohen Brenner is a physics teacher and district instructor in Israel, leading a professional learning community. The article is based on the Ph.D. thesis written at AMU University in the framework of doctoral studies in education.
- Avdor S., Rheingold R., Kfir D., Continuity of training and professional development of teachers in Israel: Rhetoric versus routine vague, Dapim, 2010, 49. (Hebrew)
- Berger H., Eylon B.S., Bagno E., Professional development of physics teachers in an evidence-based blended learning program, Journal of Science Education and Technology, 2008, 17(4).
- Erinosho S.Y., How do students perceive the difficulty of physics in secondary school? An exploratory study in Nigeria, International Journal for Cross-Disciplinary Subjects in Education (IJCDSE), 2013, 3(3).
- Eylon B.S., Bagno E., Professional development of physics teachers through long-term in-service programs: The Israeli experience, [in:] The Changing Role of Physics Departments in Modern Universities, American Institute of Physics, Woodbury, New York 1997.
- Eylon B.S., Bagno E., Research-design model for professional development of teachers: Designing lessons with physics education research, “Physical Review Special Topics-Physics Education Research” 2006, 2(2).
- Eylon B.S., Berger H., Bagno E., An evidence-based continuous professional development programme on knowledge integration in physics: A study of teachers’ collective discourse, International Journal of Science Education, 2008, 30(5).
- Gilad E., Continuing professional development of teachers at district teacher centers: In-service training courses and coaching as a whole, Maof Vemaasse, 2001, 7. (Hebrew)
- Hans M., Eylon B., Bagno E., Towards an online community of physics teachers, Presentation, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 2013.
- Harrison C., Hofstein A., Eylon B.S., Simon S., Evidence-based professional development of science teachers in two countries, International Journal of Science Education, 2008, 30(05).
- Kim H.J., Miller H.R., Herbert B., Pedersen S., Loving C., Using wiki in a scientist-teacher professional learning community: Impact on teacher perception changes, Journal of Science Education and Technology, 2012, 21(4).
- Levy S., Professional Development of Physics Teachers in Professional Learning Communities, The Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 2017.
- Little J.W., Locating learning in teachers’ communities of practice: Opening up problems of analysis in records of everyday work, Teaching and Teacher Education, 2002, 18(8).
- McLaughlin W., Talbert J.E., Professional communities and the work of high school teaching, University of Chicago Press, Chicago 2001.
- Michaeli N., Sommer O. (Eds.), Activity report by the steering committee chaired by Prof. Miriam Ben-Peretz and Prof. Lee Shulman: Leading Teachers as Agents of Improvement in the Education System, The Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities, Jerusalem 2014.
- Sassi E., Michelini M., Physics Teachers’ Education (PTE): Problems and Challenges, [in:] Frontiers of Fundamental Physics and Physics Education Research, Eds. B.G. Sidharth, M. Michelini, L. Santi, Springer International Publishing 2014.
- Van Heuvelen A., Learning to think like a physicist: A review of research-based instructional strategies, American Journal of Physics, 1991, 59(10).
Publication order reference