The School Experience of Arab LGBT Students in Israel
Doświadczenie szkolne uczniów arabskich z grupy LGBT w Izraelu
Languages of publication
The purpose of the research is to study the school experience of Arab Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals and Transgender (LGBT) in the state of Israel from own point of view. The research question is: what is the school experience of Arab LGBT graduates of the Israeli educational system in high schools where the language of learning is Arabic? This is a quantitative research, based on a questionnaire completed by 51 Arab LGBT, graduates of the Israeli educational system. They attended high schools where the language of learning is Arabic; 69.8% (N=37) of them were completed by males, 28.3% (N=15) by females, and 1% (N=1) by transgender. 62.3% reported that their sexual inclination is homosexual, 22.6% lesbian, 13.2% bisexual, and transgender one (1%). The ages of the respondents range from 18 to 32. The research participants were recruited through the ‘snowball sample’ method. The initial request was made to my personal Facebook friends whom I knew were LGBT, and they disseminated the questionnaire to additional LGBT friends they knew. The questionnaire examined the school experience in general and their perception of the role of the Arab educational counselor particularly on the topic of the sexual orientation and sexual identity, attitudes towards LGBT students, and degree of the influence of traditional Arab society on his role as a school counselor whose role is to advise, help, and accompany all the students so as to integrate in the school and in society in the best possible way. 51 questionnaires were examined in three independent variables of respondents on which the research focuses: the sector to which the respondent’s school belongs, the respondent’s religion, and the school location.
- Al-Haj M., Social research on family lifestyles among Arabs in Israel, Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 1989, 20, pp. 175-195.
- Green D., Counseling in the process of the formation of the sexual identity during adolescence, [in:] Counseling in the school in a changing society, eds. R. Arharad, A. Klingman, Ramot, Tel Aviv 2004, pp. 181-207.
- Grossman A.H., Haney A.P., Edwards P., Alessi E.J., Ardon M., Howell T.J., Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth talk about experiencing and coping with school violence: A qualitative study, “Journal of LGBT Youth”, 2009, 6(1), pp. 24-46.
- Gudy Kunst W. B., Ting-Toomey S. T., Chuna E., Culture and interpersonal communication., Stage, Newbury, CA 1988.
- Kosciw J.G., Diaz E.M., Greytak E.A., 2007 National School Climate Survey: The school-related experiences of our nation’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youth in our nation’s schools, GLSEN, New York 2008.
- Kosciw J.G., The 2003 National School Climate Survey: The school-related experiences of our nation’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youth, GLSEN, New York, 2004.
- Menachem M., Pinchasi B., Pizmony-Levy A, Characterization of the needs of youths and young people in the homo/lesbian: community: Research report, The Organization of Gay Youth, Tel Aviv 2003. (Hebrew)
- Needham J., After the Arab Spring: A new opportunity for LGBT human rights advocacy, Duke Journal of Gender Law & Policy, 2013, 20, pp. 287-323.
- Nydell M., Understanding Arabs: A guide for Westerners, Intercultural Press Inc., Yarmouth, ME 1987.
- Perotti J., Westheimer K., When the drama club is not enough: Lessons from the safe schools program for gay and lesbian students, Beacon Press, Boston, MA 2001.
- Pizmony-Levy A., Kame E., Lavi S., Pinchas B., Menachem M., The Israeli educational system from the perspective of homo, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender students: Research report, The Organization of Gay Youth, Tel Aviv 2005. (Hebrew)
- Reis B., They don’t even know me: Understanding anti-gay harassment and violence in schools, Safe Schools Coalition of Washington State, Seattle, WA 1999.
- Sharabi H., Mukhtar A., Impact of class and culture on social behavior: The feudal-bourgeois family in Arab Society, [in:] Psychological dimensions of Near Eastern studies, eds. L.C. Brown, N. Itkowitz, The Darwin Press, Princeton, N.Y. 1977.
- Shiloh, G., Pizmony-Levy A., Research on school climate 2008 – The situation of homo and lesbian students in the educational system in Israel. The Organization of Gay Youth, Tel Aviv 2008. (Hebrew)
Publication order reference