The effects of explicit pronunciation instruction on the degree of perceived foreign accent in the speech of EFL learners
Languages of publication
This paper reports on a study that attempted to examine the effect of explicit pronunciation instruction of some English segments (individual sounds) on the degree of perceived foreign accent in EFL Arab learners’ speech. Nine Arab learners of English in an EFL (English as a foreign language) setting were assigned to two groups, experimental and control. Five utterances loaded with the taught segments were collected from both groups before and after instruction. While the experimental group received instruction on these segments, the control group did not. 13 native English listeners were recruited to rate all the elicited sentences for the degree of perceived foreign accent. The results did not show any effect of explicit pronunciation instruction on the degree of perceived foreign accent, as there were no differences between the ratings before and after the instruction.
- Ahmad, J. 2011. Pronunciation Problems among Saudi Learners: A Case Study at the Preparatory Year Program, Najran University Saudi Arabia. Language in India 11. 22-36.
- Altaha, F. M. 1995. Pronunciation Errors Made by Saudi University Students Learning English: Analysis and Remedy. ITL International Journal of Applied Linguistics. 110-123.
- Barr, D. et al. 2013. Random Effects Structure for Confirmatory Hypothesis Testing: Keep It Maximal. Journal of Memory and Language 68. 255-278.
- Boersma, P. and D. Weenink. 2016. Praat: Doing Phonetics by Computer [Computer program]. Retrieved 2016, from http://www.praat.org/
- Champagne-Muzar, C., Schneiderman, E. and J. S. Bourdages. 1993. Second Language Accent: The Role of the Pedagogical Environment. IRAL: International Review of Applied Linguistics in Language Teaching 31. 143.
- Couper, G. 2006. The Short and Long-term Effects of Pronunciation Instruction. Prospect 21. 46-66.
- Derwing, T. et al. 2014. Opening the Window on Comprehensible Pronunciation After 19 Years: A Workplace Training Study. Language Learning 64. 526-548.
- Derwing, T., Munro, M. and G. Wiebe. 1997. Pronunciation Instruction for Fossilized Learners. Can it Help? Applied Language Learning 8. 217-235.
- Derwing, T., Munro, M. and G. Wiebe. 1998. Evidence in Favor of a Broad Framework for Pronunciation Instruction. Language Learning 48. 393-410.
- Derwing, T. and M. Rossiter. 2003. The Effects of Pronunciation Instruction on the Accuracy, Fluency, and Complexity of L2 Accented Speech. Applied Language Learning 13. 1-17.
- Elliott, A. 1997. On the Teaching and Acquisition of Pronunciation within a Communicative Approach. Hispania 80. 95-108.
- Flege, J., Munro, M. and I. MacKay. 1995. Factors Affecting Strength of Perceived Foreign Accent in a Second Language. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 97. 3125-3134.
- Flege, J. and R. Port. 1981. Cross-language Phonetic Interference: Arabic to English. Language and Speech 24. 125-146.
- Hancock, M. 2012. English Pronunciation in Use Intermediate with Answers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Kennedy, S., Blanchet, J. and P. Trofimovich. 2014. Learner Pronunciation, Awareness, and Instruction in French as a Second Language. Foreign Language Annals 47. 79-96.
- Kennedy, S. and P. Trofimovich. 2010. Language Awareness and Second Language Pronunciation: A Classroom Study. Language Awareness 19. 171-185.
- Kissling, E. 2013. Teaching Pronunciation: Is Explicit Phonetics Instruction Beneficial for FL Learners? The Modern Language Journal 97. 720-744.
- Lee, J., Jang, J. and L. Plonsky. 2015. The Effectiveness of Second Language Pronunciation Instruction: A Meta-analysis. Applied Linguistics 36. 345-366.
- Levis, J. M. et al. 2016. Native and Nonnative Teachers of L2 Pronunciation: Effects on Learner Performance. Tesol Quarterly 50. 894–931
- Lord, G. 2005. (How) Can We Teach Foreign Language Pronunciation? On the Effects of a Spanish Phonetics Course. Hispania 88. 557-567.
- Lord, G. 2010. The Combined Effects of Immersion and Instruction on Second Language Pronunciation. Foreign Language Annals 43. 488-503.
- MacDonald, D., Yule, G. and M. Powers. 1994. Attempts to Improve English L2 Pronunciation: The Variable Effects of Different Types of Instruction. Language Learning 44. 75-100.
- Munro, M. J. 1995. Nonsegmental Factors in Foreign Accent. Studies in Second Language Acquisition 17. 17-34.
- Munro, M. J. and T. M. Derwing. 1995. Foreign Accent, Comprehensibility, and Intelligibility in the Speech of Second Language Learners. Language Learning 45. 73-97.
- Piske, T., MacKay, I. and J. Flege. 2001. Factors Affecting Degree of Foreign Accent in an L2: A Review. Journal of Phonetics 29. 191-215.
- Saalfeld, A. 2011. Acquisition of L2 Phonology in Advanced Learners: does Instruction Make a Difference. In: J. Levis and K. LeVelle (eds.), Proceedings of the Second Annual Conference on Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching, 144-152. Ames: Iowa State University
- Saito, K. 2007. The Influence of Explicit Phonetic Instruction on Pronunciation in EFL Settings: the Case of English Vowels and Japanese Learners of English. Linguistics Journal 3.16-40.
- Saito, K. 2011. Examining the Role of Explicit Phonetic Instruction in Native-Like and Comprehensible Pronunciation Development: an Instructed SLA Approach to L2 Phonology. Language Awareness 20. 45-59.
- Saito, K. 2012. Effects of Instruction on L2 Pronunciation Development: a Synthesis of 15 Quasi-Experimental Intervention Studies. Tesol Quarterly 46. 842-854.
- Saito, K. 2013. Re-examining Effects of Form-Focused Instruction on L2 Pronunciation Development. Studies in Second Language Acquisition 35. 1-29.
- Saito, K. and R. Lyster. 2012. Effects of Form-Focused Instruction and Corrective Feedback on L2 Pronunciation Development of/ɹ/by Japanese Learners of English. Language Learning 62. 595-633.
- Selvi, A. F. 2014. Myths and Misconceptions About Nonnative English Speakers in the TESOL (NNEST) Movement. TESOL Journal 5. 573-611.
- Sturm, J. 2013. Explicit phonetics Instruction in L2 French: a Global Analysis of Improvement. System 41. 654-662.
- Thomson, R. and T. Derwing. 2015. The Effectiveness of L2 Pronunciation Instruction: a Narrative Review. Applied Linguistics 36. 326-344.
- Timmis, I. 2002. Native-speaker Norms and International English: a Classroom View. ELT Journal 56. 240-249.
- Sound of Speech (developed by the University of Iowa), [Online] Available from: http://soundsofspeech.uiowa.edu/english/english.html [Accessed on: 31/01/2016]
- BBC Learning English – The Sounds of English, [Online] Available from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/features/pronunciation [Accessed on: 31/01/2016]
Publication order reference