Romania: university and politics in the 1980s. Case study: the University of Bucharest, the 1980s
Languages of publication
The presentation I am submitting to your attention focuses on how the University of Bucharest operated during the 1980’s, a very difficult period for Romania. As to be expected, the University of Bucharest, like the entire Romanian education system, took the full blow of communist experimental policies, reflecting quite accurately the general developments of the political system in Romania in the 1980s. The structure of Bucharest University, the curriculum, acceptance of the students via admission exams as well as the process of assignment of graduates from University of Bucharest to production units in the 1980’s, are aspects of university life which were all affected by profound changes during the period subject to the research, leading to a genuine phenomenon in the Romanian society. The way these changes were reflected in the cultural mindset and the traumas generated by them are all points of interest addressed in my presentation.
- Murgescu, B. (2010). România şi Europa. Acumularea decalajelor economice (1500-2010) [Romania and Europe. Accumulation of economic gaps]. Iaşi: Polirom Publishing House.
- Murgescu, B., Sora, A. F., Gheboianu, M. & Rotaru, M. (2014). University of Bucharest under the communist regime. In: Bozgan,O.& Murgescu,B.(Eds.), Universitatea din Bucureşti 1864-2014, [University of Bucharest 1864 – 2014] (pp.280-315). Bucharest: Bucharest University Publishing House.
- Sadlak, J. 1990). Higher Education in Romania, 1860 – 1990: between academic mission, economic demands and political control. New York: Graduate School of Education Center State University of New York at Buffalo.
- Molnar. M. & Poenaru, M. (1993) Învăţământul [ Education] In: Grigorescu,C.(Ed.), Nivelul dezvoltării economico-sociale a României în context european, 1989 [Romania’s economic and social development level in an European context 1989] (pp.228). Bucharest: Expert Publishing House.
- Perţ, S. (2000) Învăţământul [ Education] In: Constantinescu, N. N. (Ed.), Istoria economică a României (1939 – 1989) [The Economic History of Romania (1939 – 1989)] (pp.336). Bucharest: The Economic Publishing House.
- Cazan, M. & Paşca, V., (2014). Concurenţa la admitere în învăţământul superior românesc în perioada comunistă (1956-1979). Reconstruiri cantitative, [The competition for the admission to the higher education in Romania, during the communist era (1956-1979). Quantitative reconstruction]. Studii şi articole de istorie [History Research Papers and Articles], LXXXI,244-266.
Publication order reference