THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN TURKISH EFL STATE SCHOOL TEACHERS' CULTURAL INTELLIGENCE AND THEIR PROFESSIONAL WELL-BEING
Languages of publication
Cultural intelligence is described as the ability of a person to behave adequately in culturally diverse environments. It involves comprehending the effects of cultural background on the attitudes of people for auspicious participation in any social setting. Cultural intelligence may be positively and significantly correlated with professional well-being among English as foreign language (EFL) teachers. So, the present study sought to investigate the correlation between Turkish EFL state school teachers' cultural intelligence and their professional well-being. A sample including 120 EFL state school teachers completed two questionnaires: (1) Cultural Intelligence Scale developed by Cultural Intelligence Center (2005); and (2) the Scale of Teacher Perception of Professional Well-Being developed by Yildirim, Arastaman and Dasci (2016). The results of the study indicated significant correlations between Turkish EFL state school teachers' cultural intelligence and their professional well-being. This study may help English Language Teaching (ELT) departments to implement materials to their curriculum for aiding EFL teachers in terms of developing cultural intelligence. Furthermore, this paper makes a unique contribution to the area of cultural intelligence by identifying whether there is a relationship between cultural intelligence and professional well-being.
- Amiri, A. N., Moghimi, S. M., & Kazemi, M. (2010). Studying the relationship
- between cultural intelligence and employees’ performance. European journal of scientific Research, 42(3). 418-427.
- Ang, S., Van Dyne, L., Koh, C., Ng, K. Y., Templer, K. J., Tay, C., & Chandrasekar, N. A. (2007). Cultural intelligence: Its measurement and effects on cultural judgment and decision making, cultural adaptation and task performance. Management and
- organization review, 3(3). 335-371.
- Anvari, R., Irum, S., Ashfaq, M., & Atiyaye, D. M. (2014). The impact of leader's cultural intelligence on organizational commitment. Asian Social Science, 10(17). 45.
- Balogh, A., Gaál, Z., & Szabó, L. (2011). Relationship between organizational culture and cultural intelligence. Management & Marketing, 6(1). 95.
- Belshek, J. A. (2006). The influence of culture on the negotiation styles of British students. Annual review of education, communication and language sciences. 3.
- Brislin, R., Worthley, R., & MacNab, B. (2006). Cultural intelligence: Understanding
- behaviors that serve people’s goals. Group and Organization Management. 31: 40–55.
- Bücker, J. J., Furrer, O., Poutsma, E., & Buyens, D. (2014). The impact of cultural
- intelligence on communication effectiveness, job satisfaction and anxiety for Chinese
- host country managers working for foreign multinationals. The International Journal
- of Human Resource Management, 25(14). 2068-2087.
- Chen, A. S. Y., Lin, Y. C., & Sawangpattanakul, A. (2011). The relationship between cultural intelligence and performance with the mediating effect of culture shock: A case from Philippine laborers in Taiwan. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 35(2). 246-258.
- Crowne, K. A. (2009). The relationships among social intelligence, emotional intelligence and cultural intelligence. Organization Management Journal, 6(3).
- Cultural Intelligence Center. (2005). The Cultural Intelligence Scale (CQS). Retreived on the 1st of April, 2017 from www.linnvandyne.com/papers/The%20CQS.pdf
- Elenkov, D. S., & Manev, I. M. (2009). Senior expatriate leadership's effects on innovation and the role of cultural intelligence. Journal of World Business, 44(4).
- Hofstede, G. (1980). Culture’s Consequences: International Differences in Work- related Values. London: Sage Publications.
- Hofstede, G. (2001). Culture’s consequences: Comparing values, behaviors, institutions, and organizations across nations. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage.
- Horn, J. E., Taris, T. W., Schaufeli, W. B., & Schreurs, P. J. (2004). The structure of
- occupational well‐being: A study among Dutch teachers. Journal of occupational and
- Organizational Psychology, 77(3). 365-375.
- Imai, L., & Gelfand, M. J. (2010). The culturally intelligent negotiator: The impact of cultural intelligence (CQ) on negotiation sequences and outcomes. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 112(2). 83-98.
- Keung, E. K. (2011). What factors of cultural intelligence predict transformational leadership: A study of international school leaders (Doctoral dissertation, Liberty University).
- Khani, A., Etebarian, A., & Abzari, M. (2011). The relationship between cultural intelligence and group effectiveness in Mobarakeh steel company. African Journal of Business Management, 5(17). 7507.
- Kim, K., Kirkman, B. L., & Chen, G. (2008). Cultural intelligence and international
- assignment effectiveness. Handbook of cultural intelligence: Theory, measurement,
- and applications. 71-90.
- Lee, L. Y., & Sukoco, B. M. (2010). The effects of cultural intelligence on expatriate
- performance: The moderating effects of international experience. The International
- Journal of Human Resource Management, 21(7). 963-981.
- Lovvorn, A. S., & Chen, J. S. (2011). Developing a global mindset: The relationship
- between an international assignment and cultural intelligence. International Journal
- of Business and Social Science, 2(9).
- Matsumoto, D. (1996). Culture and Psychology. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole.
- Mayer, J. D., & Salovey, P. (1993). The intelligence of emotional intelligence.
- Intelligence, 17(4). 433-442.
- Moon, T. (2010). Emotional intelligence correlates of the four-factor model of cultural
- intelligence. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 25(8). 876-898.
- Munn, E. K., Berber, C. E., & Fritz, J. J. (1996). Factors affecting the professional well-being of child life specialists. Children's Health Care, 25(2). 71-91.
- Nafei, W. A. (2013). The impact of cultural intelligence on employee job performance: an empirical study on King Abdel-Aziz Hospital in Al-Taif Governorate, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Business and Management, 8(1). 26.
- Oolders, T., Chernyshenko, O. S., & Stark, S. (2008). Cultural intelligence as a mediator of relationships between openness to experience and adaptive performance. Handbook of cultural intelligence: Theory, measurement, and applications. 145-158.
- Spencer-Oatey, H. (2008). Culturally Speaking Second Edition: Culture, Communication and Politeness Theory. Bloomsbury Publishing.
- Sternberg, R. J. (1997). The Concept of Intelligence and Its Role in Lifelong Learning, American Psychologist, 52. 1030–7.
- Subramaniam, A., Ramalu, I., Wei, C. C., & Rose, R. C. (2011). The effects of cultural intelligence on cross-cultural adjustment and job performance amongst expatriates in Malaysia. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(9).
- Thomas, D. C., Elron, E., Stahl, G., Ekelund, B. Z., Ravlin, E. C., Cerdin, J. L., ... &
- Thorndike, R. L., & Stein, S. (1937). An evaluation of the attempts to measure social
- intelligence. Psychological Bulletin, 34(5). 275. 2nd edition. London: Continuum.
- Triandis, H. C. (1994). Culture and social behavior. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Warr, P. (1990). The measurement of well‐being and other aspects of mental health. Journal of occupational Psychology, 63(3). 193-210.
- Yildirim, K., Arastaman, G., & Dasci, E. (2016). The relationship between teachers’
- attitude toward measurement and evaluation and their perceptions of professional
- well-being. Eurasian Journal of Educational Research, 62.
- -96. http://dx.doi.org/10.14689/ejer.2016.62.6
Publication order reference