THE ROLE OF MEDIA IN CREATING AWARENESS ON CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE AMONG SCHOOL STUDENTS
Languages of publication
Aim. This study aims to analyse the role of media in creating awareness on child sexual abuse and Good Touch Bad Touch among children. The research also aims to study the students’ awareness level of Child Sexual Abuse which includes the Good Touch Bad Touch. Method. The survey research method was used to collect data, through a well-structured questionnaire from 100 respondents of a school from a city of Punjab, constituting 20 respondents from each class, selected through convenient sampling. Result. The findings reveal that the media failed to create awareness on child sexual abuse among children. 90% of the respondents were not aware of any child sexual abuse or child helpline number. Conclusion. Even though, some initiatives were taken by various media tools to raise the child safety issue in the society, but those are not enough. There is a need to develop and run more specific programs regularly to raise awareness throughout society on child sexual abuse.
- Agathis, N., Payne, C., & Raphael, J. (2018). A “#MeToo Movement” for Children: Increasing Awareness of Sexual Violence Against Children. Retrieved May 6, 2020, from https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/142/2/e20180634
- Ahluwalia, H. (2018). Radio emerges as second most accessed media, outpaces social networking: Report. Retrieved December 20, 2019, from https://www.livemint.com/Consumer/vBLB4xcdPUmEHCzafXUUoI/Radio-emerges-as-second-most-accessed-media-outpaces-social.html
- BBC News. (2017). India sexual abuse: ‘Four child victims every hour’. Retrieved April 17, 2020, from https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-42193533
- Ganjapure, V. (2018). NCERT: Teachers asked to sensitize primary children on sexual abuse: Nagpur News – Times of India. Retrieved October 17, 2019, from https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/nagpur/ncert-teachers-asked-to-sensitize-primary-children-on-sexual-abuse/articleshow/64101431.cms
- Gautam, R. (2020). Quattuor Minor Puer Factus Victim De Barbara Omne Hora In 2018: NCRB [Four Minors Became Victim of Barbarian Every Hour In 2018: NCRB]. Retrieved March 12, 2020, from https://hindi.gonewsindia.com/latest-news/news-and-politics/cases-of-sexual-violence-against-minors-increase-ncrb-7930
- Goddard, C., & Saunders, B. J. (2001). Child Abuse and the Media. Australian Institute of Family Studies, 14. Retrieved December 22, 2019, from https://aifs.gov.au/cfca/publications/child-abuse-and-media
- India.com. (2018). Lack of Awareness & Taboo Still Linger Amongst Indian Parents as Nation Fights For Protection of Children Against Sexual Exploitation. Retrieved November 15, 2019, from https://www.india.com/news/india/lack-of-awareness-taboo-still-linger-amongst-indian-parents-as-nation-fights-for-protection-of-children-against-sexual-exploitation-3031491/
- India Internet 2019. (2019). Nielsen and Internet and Mobile Association of India 2019. Retrieved October 15, 2019, from https://cms.iamai.in/Content/ResearchPapers/d3654bcc-002f-4fc7-ab39-e1fbeb00005d.pdf
- Kitzinger, J., & Skidmore, P. (1995). Playing Safe: Media coverage of child sexual abuse prevention strategies. Child abuse review, 4(1), 47-56.
- Kumar, S. (2011). Child Sexual Abuse: A Comparative Study of Schools in Urban and Rural Areas in Tamil Nadu (Dissertation). Tirunelveli: Manonmaniam Uundaranar University India.
- Ministry of Women and Child Development. (2016-17). Annual Report 2016-17. Retrieved October 15, 2019, from https://wcd.nic.in/sites/default/files/FINAL%20WCD_AR_English%202016-17.pdf
- Nagasampige, K., & Nagasampige, M. (2016). Effectiveness of newspaper in education (NIE) program on the student performance. Educational Quest: An Int. J. of Education and Applied Social Sciences, 7(1). doi: 10.5958/2230-7311.2016.00013.1
- National Commission for the Protection of Child Rights. (2016). National Workshop on Protection of Child Rights. Report 17th-18th December 2016. Retrieved December 15, 2019, from http://ccpcr.technogs.com/uploads/media/report9.pdf
- National Commission for Protection of Child Rights. (2017). User Handbook on Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012. Retrieved March 15, 2020, from https://ncpcr.gov.in/showfile.php?lang=1&level=1&&sublinkid=1289&lid=1514pdf
- Parab, P. (2017). How a Chennai-based NGO is using Sarahah Against Child Sexual Abuse. Retrieved November 15, 2019, from http://gadgets.ndtv.com/culture/features/sarahah-app-chennai-aware-ngo-child-sexual-abuse-1745791
- Qayyum, H. (2018). Media Coverage on Child Sexual Abuse in Developing Countries. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 9(11), 1223-1229.
- Ramya, K. (2020). Most online content on child sexual abuse from India. The Hindu. Retrieved March 8, 2020, from https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/most-online-content-on-child-sexual-abuse-from-india/article31377784.ece
- Schramm, W. (1964). Mass media and national development. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- Sengupta, N. (2020). 109 children sexually abused every day in India in 2018: NCRB. Retrieved February 17, 2020, from https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/109-children-sexually-abused-every-day-india-2018-1636160-2020-01-12
- The Hindu. (2011). Newspapers in the classroom. Retrieved December 22, 2019, from https://www.thehindu.com/features/kids/newspapers-in-the-classroom/article2138727.ece
- The Print Team. (2019). As India falls 7 spots in global ranking, is it a safe country to raise children?. Retrieved March 17, 2020, from https://theprint.in/talk-point/as-india-falls-7-spots-in-global-ranking-is-it-a-safe-country-to-raise-children/268417/
- Tom, D. (2020). Child abuse cases a cause for worry: Kochi News - Times of India. Retrieved April 15, 2020, from http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/74955890.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst
- UNICEF. (2013). Sexual Violence Against Children in the Caribbean: Report 2012. Retrieved December 18, 2019, from https://www.unicef.org/ECAO_Sexual_Violence_againstChildren_in_the_Caribbean.pdf
- Virani, P. (2000). Bitter chocolate - child sexual abuse in India. New York: Penguin Books Limited.
- Weatherred, J. (2015). Child Sexual Abuse and the Media: A Literature Review. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, 24(1), 16-34. doi: 10.1080/10538712.2015.976302
Publication order reference