Wpływ procesu delewarowania na sektor bankowy w krajach Europy Środkowo-Wschodniej
Languages of publication
Artykuł nie zawiera abstraktu w języku polskim
The financial crisis of 2007-2009 substantially weakened Western-European banking groups. As large EU banks experienced market and regulatory pressure to improve their balance sheets and strengthen their capital position, this triggered a process of deleveraging. The aim of this paper is to analyze the impact of the latter on the banking sector in CEE, a region which since 2009 has been shown to be particularly vulnerable to this process owing to the strong dependence of local banks there on their Western European parents. The principal research question is whether large CEE market players did in fact revise the approach they previously had towards their subsidiaries and in so doing reduce their involvement in the region. To answer this question, the geographical distribution of their asset reduction underwent an empirical analysis, conducted over the 2008-2013 period for six WE banking groups and their CEE subsidiaries. This confirmed a modest reduction in cross-border exposures in CEE, although much smaller than in developed countries. The scale of funding reductions was also found to vary significantly across CEE countries.
- Barba Navaretti G., Calzolari G., Pozzolo A.F., Levi M., Multinational banking in Europe - /i- nancial stability and regulatory implications: lessons /rom the /inancial crisis, Economic Policy, October, 2010.
- de Haas R., Korniyenko Y., Loukoianova E., Pivovarsky A., Foreign banks and the Vienna Initia- tive: Turning sinners into saints?, MoFiR Working Paper, no. 62, 2012.
- ECB, Financial Stability Review, 2012, June.
- ECB, Financial Stability Review, 2013, May.
- Erste Group, Fact Sheet, March 2014 (www.erstegroup.com).
- IMF, Global Financial Stability Report: Moving /rom liquidity to growth-driven markets, 2014, April.
- IMF, Global Financial Stability Report: The quest /or lasting stability, 2012, April.
- Kok C., Schepens G., Bank reactions a/ter capital short/alls, ECB Working Paper, no. 1611, 2013.
- Ongena S., Peydro J.-L., van Horen N., Shocks Abroad, Pain at Home? Bank-Firm Level Evidence on the International Transmission o/ Financial Shocks, DNB Working Paper, no. 385, 2013.
- Raiffeisen Research, CEE Banking Sector Report, 2011 (www.raiffeisenresearch.at).
- Raiffeisen Research, CEE Banking Sector Report, 2013 (www.raiffeisenresearch.at).
- Top 1000 World Banks, „The Banker" 2011, July.
- Tressel T., Financial Contagion through Bank Deleveraging: Stylized Facts and Simulations Applied to the Financial Crisis, IMF Working Paper WP/10/236, 2010.
- Unicredit Group, CEE Banking Outlook, 2009, November (www.unicreditgroup.eu).
- Vienna Initiative, CESEE Deleveraging and Credit Monitor, 2014, 27 May.
Publication order reference