China's “One Belt, One Road” initiative - the perspective of the European Union
Languages of publication
The idea of the “One Belt, One Road” will promote the China as a soft power and attractive player in the global market. It is related to China’s perception of global changes brought about by financial crisis, and growing world-wide interdependence. Beijing’s initiative aims on the potential for increased economic exchanges between China and Europe. In fact, the One Belt, One Road (OBOR) can be called a comprehensive domestic and foreign policy concept. Historically, the concept of the “Silk Road” was not only about trade, but also had significant cultural meaning. The OBOR initiative could serve as a cultural bridge between Europe and China, which should not only be understood as “two markets” and “two forces,” but also as “two civilizations”. This concept might be especially profitable for Central and Eastern European countries which focus on strengthening relations with the PRC after years of mutual insignificance and strive for balancing huge trade deficit and attracting Chinese investments.
- America’s Global Image Remains More Positive than China’s, 2013, „Pew Research Center” July 18, http://www.pewglobal.org/2013/07/18/americas-global-image-remains-more-positive-than-chinas/ (access: 12.10.2015).
- Brauner O. 2014, Deepening China-EU security cooperation along the ‘Silk Road Economic Belt’, „Friends of Europe” 24 October, http://www.friendsofeurope.org/global-europe/deepening-china-eu-security-cooperation-along-silk-road-economic-belt/ (access: 12.10.2015).
- Bremmer I. 2013, China’s Limited Influence, „The New York Times”, November 27.
- Cameron F. 2015, The Maritime Silk Road – an EU perspective, "World Commerce Review" June, http://www.worldcommercereview.com/publications/article_pdf/961 (access: 13.10.2015).
- D’Hooghe I., The Limits of China’s Soft Power in Europe. Beijing’s Public Diplomacy Puzzle, Netherlands Institute of International Relations, Hague 2010.
- EU-China 2020 Strategic Agenda for Cooperation, http://eeas.europa.eu/china/docs/eu-china_2020_strategic_agenda_en.pdf (access: 13.10.2015).
- Kaczmarski M. 2015, The New Silk Road: a versatile instrument in China’s policy, "OSW Commentary", http://www.osw.waw.pl/en/publikacje/osw-commentary/2015-02-10/new-silk-road-a-versatile-instrument-chinas-policy (access: 12.10.2015).
- Ikenberry G. J. 2008, The Rise of China and the Future of the West. Can the Liberal System Survive?, „Foreign Affairs” January/February.
- Jacobs A. 2009, China hunts for art treasures in U.S. museums, “New York Times”, December 17.
- Misiągiewicz J., Misiągiewicz M. 2014, The Caspian region and its significance for the energy security policy of China, “The Journal of China and the World”, chapter 9.
- “One Belt, One Road”: China’s great leap outward 2015, “China Analysis” European Council of Foreign Relations, http://www.ecfr.eu/page//China_analysis_belt_road.pdf (access: 13.10.2015).
- Reviving the Silk Road: What is Behind It? 2015, "Madariaga Report" 24 April, http://www.madariaga.org/ (access: 13.10.2015).
- Rising China: EU Perspectives and Responses 2009, European Union Center of North Carolina, „EU Briefings” April.
- Rising Soft Powers. China, Los Angeles 2015.
- Szczudlik-Tatar J. 2015, “One Belt, One Road”: Mapping China’s New Diplomatic Strategy, "Bulletin PISM" No. 67 (799).
- Wacker G. 2014, Shared Destiny: New Silk Road between China and Europe, „Friends of Europe”, 24 October, http://www.friendsofeurope.org/global-europe/shared-destiny-new-silk-road-china-europe/ (access: 13.10.2015).
- Van der Putten F.P., Meijnders M. 2015, China, Europe and the Maritime Silk Road, Hague.
- Yan S. 2015, Why the ‘One Belt One Road’ Initiative Matters for the EU, China’s grand initiative represents all sorts of opportunities for Europe, http://thediplomat.com/2015/04/why-the-one-belt-one-road-initiative-matters-for-the-eu/ April 09, (access: 13.10.2015).
- Yiwei W. 2015, One Belt One Road: Opportunities for Europe-China cooperation, “Europe’s World”, 13 May, http://europesworld.org/2015/05/13/one-belt-one-road-opportunities-europe-china-cooperation/#.Vl2Xl79jROY(access: 13.10.2015).
Publication order reference