An overeview of attitude towards selected aspects of electoral programs of Polish political groups taking part in the 2014 elections to the European Parliament
Languages of publication
Elections to the European Parliament (EP), because of its role in establishing the legal order in member states of the European Union (EU), should become increasingly crucial among all the direct elections in which Poles participate in our country’s political system. But the results of analyses carried out by various research institutions indicate that, in Polish public opinion, the elections to the EP are the least important in terms of the meaning they have for Poles. Since the start of their organization, these elections have consistently come second (in terms of significance) to domestic elections – Presidential, Parliamentary, and local.Yet these elections, for many reasons, were actually the most important of all European elections so far. The following paper is an attempt at answering the question of how important the issues of Polish membership in the EU, EU`s functioning and policy, economic and some selected socio-cultural (especially moral and religious) problems. To answer that question, an analysis was made of the program documents of all parties participating in the 2014 elections to the EP, as well as of party leaders’ statements, mostly posted on the Internet (i.e. on the political groups’ websites). The analysis was conducted taking into consideration three areas:Political: – expansion of the Eurozone into Poland, the possibility of blocking treaties by particular member countries, a common EU foreign policy, the idea of „European solidarity”, the assessment of the integration process, and potential sanctions to be placed by the EU on Russia;Economic: – commercialization and privatization of the health care system, the problem of government interference in the economy, environmental protection at the cost of economic development, decreasing expenses as a means of fighting the economic crisis, and employee redundancies;Moral – Religious: – the possibility of legalizing unions by homosexual couples, the legalization of abortion and marijuana for personal use, the possibility of trading on Sundays and holidays, the introduction of sexual education into schools, the separation of church and state by removing religious symbols from the public sphere, as well as the impossibility of financing churches through public funds.
- The electoral campaign to the European Parliament in the main news services of TVP SA, TVN, Polsat, TV Trwam, TV Republika, and Superstacja between 10-23 May 2014. Conclusions from monitoring. Ed. Public Media Department Team.
- Kampania wyborcza do Parlamentu Europejskiego w głównych wydaniach serwisów informacyjnych TVP SA, TVN, Polsat, TV Trwam, TV Republika i Superstacja w okresie 10-23 maja 2014 r. Wnioski z monitoringu. Oprac. Zespół Departamentu Mediów Publicznych.
- One year before the European elections of 2014. An analytical summary. Brussels, December 2013.
- Na rok przed wyborami europejskimi w 2014 r. Podsumowanie analityczne. Bruksela, grudzień 2013.
- The European Parliament. Society’s trust and (lack of) knowledge, M. Dudkiewicz, A. Fukciewicz, J. Kucharczyk, A. Łada, Warsaw 2013].
- Parlament Europejski. Społeczne zaufanie i (nie)wiedza, M. Dudkiewicz, A. Fukciewicz, J. Kucharczyk, A. Łada, Warszawa 2013.
- CBOS Announcements:] Komunikaty CBOS:
- Zainteresowanie wyborami do Parlamentu Europejskiego, luty 2014;
- [Interest in the elections to the European Parliament, February 2014].
- 10 lat członkostwa Polski w Unii Europejskiej, kwiecień 2014; [Ten years of Poland’s membership in the European Union, April 2014].
- Polscy eurodeputowani i wybory do Parlamentu Europejskiego, marzec 2014; [Polish Eurorepresentatives and the elections to the European Parliament, March 2014].
- Wybory do Parlamentu Europeskiego, kwiecień 2014; [Elections to the European Parliament, April 2014].
- Wybory do Parlamentu Europejskiego, maj 2014; [Elections to the European Parliament, May 2014].
- Odbiór kampanii wyborczej i aktywność polityczna w Internecie, , lipiec 2014.[The reception of the electoral campaign and political activity on the Internet, July 2014].
- Decyzja Rady Europejskiej z dnia 28 czerwca 2013 r. ustanawiająca skład Parlamentu Europejskiego Dziennik Urzędowy L 181, 29/06/2013 P. 0057 - 0058; http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=OJ%3AL%3A2013%3A181%3ATOC
- Traktat o Unii Europejskiej (wersja skonsolidowana)OJ C 326, 26.10.2012, p. 13–390; http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/PL/TXT/?uri=celex%3A12012M%2FTXT.
- 2014 European Parliament election turnout was lowest ever, revised data shows
- EUROPEAN VOICE By CYNTHIA KROET, http://www.politico.eu/article/european-parliament-elections-2014-reveal-lowest-voter-turnout-ever/
- Trechsel, A.H. 2010. How much ‘second-order’ were the European Parliament elections 2009?, in: Wojciech Gagatek (ed. ), The 2009 Elections to the European Parliament Country Reports, European University Institute Florence.
- Tosiek, P. 2007. Komitologia. Szczególny rodzaj decydowania politycznego w Unii Europejskiej, Wydawnictwo UMCS, Lublin.
- Fuksiewicz, A. 2014. Współpraca: Agnieszka Łada, Porównanie programów partii przed wyborami do Parlamentu Europejskiego 2014, Warszawa.
- Documents and programs of particular political parties.
Publication order reference