The Ukraine Crisis and European Union’s Eastern Partnership Revisited
Languages of publication
The objective of the present paper is an attempt at viewing the European Neighbourhood Policy, and especially the Eastern Partnership, from the EU’s standpoint and from the international perspective as well. The situation in the EU’s eastern neighbourhood (Russia-Ukraine war) drives EU decision-makers to focus merely on stabilisation and de facto stagnation. The decision-makers are not willing to undertake decisive actions towards a change in relations with the countries of Eastern Europe and the South Caucasus. The paper will also consider the following research questions: Will the lack of clear EU membership perspective (even a remote one) for countries such as Ukraine, Moldova, lead to the opportunity for a change of their situation to be forfeit? Will Russia-Ukraine conflict (and Russia-the West conflict in a broad sense) result in the EU being pushed out of the region and enable Russia to reintegrate the post-Soviet space? Was the recent 2015 Eastern Partnership Summit in Riga the beginning of the end of the policy? The paper does not attempt a comprehensive discussion of the issue, but constitutes an outline of particular problems which the EU and Eastern Partnership are faced with.
- Balcer, A., Revak, L. 2012. Ukraine: European Australia or Congo?, "New Eastern Europe”, no. 2(III)/April–June, pp. 59–63.
- Bildt, C. 2015. Russia, the European Union and the Eastern Partnership, “ECFR Riga Series”, at http://www.ecfr.eu/wider/rigapapers, 5 July 2015 (accessed on May 28, 2015).
- Communication from the Commission: European Neighbourhood Policy – Strategy Paper, COM (2004) 373 final, Brussels, 12 May 2004.
- Dempsey, J. 2015. Doubletake: Does Russia Divide Europe?”, “New Eastern Europe”, No. 5 (XVIII), September–October, p. 20.
- Dempsey, J. 2015. The EU’s Blindness About Eastern Europe, “Carnegie Europe: Judy Dempsey's Strategic Europe”, May 28, 2015. Available online: http://carnegieeurope.eu/strategiceurope/?fa=60229 (accessed on May 28, 2015).
- Dostál, V. 2015. Searching for a New Narrative, “New Eastern Europe”, No. 5 (XVIII), September–October, pp. 110–111.
- EU-Russia Common Spacer Progress Report 2007, http://ec.europa.eu/external_relations/russia/docs/commonspaces_prog_report2007.pdf.
- Gromadzki, G. 2008. Five Theses on European Neighbourhood Policy, "Batory Foundation Policy Brief”, Warsaw, September.
- Joint Declaration of the Eastern Partnership Summit (Riga, 21–22 May 2015), European Council, May 21-22, 2015. Available online: http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/meetings/international-summit/2015/05/21-22/ (accessed on June 30, 2015).
- Joint Declaration of the Prague Eastern Partnership Summit, Council of the European Union, Prague, 7 May 2009, 8435/09 (Presse 78), http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/en/er/107589.pdf.
- Krastev, I. 2015. How to Avoid Europe’s Disintegration, “New Eastern Europe”, No. 5 (XVIII), September–October, p. 8.
- Michta, A. A. 2015. After the Summit, “The American Interest”, May 25, 2015. Available online: http://www.the-american-interest.com/2015/05/25/after-the-summit/ (accessed on June 15, 2015).
- Sakwa, R. 2015. Frontline Ukraine: Crisis in the Borderlands, London–New York 2015, p. 30.
- Stępniewski, T. 2011. Geopolityka regionu Morza Czarnego w pozimnowojennym świecie, Lublin–Warszawa, pp. 295–320.
- Stępniewski, T. 2015. The EU’s Eastern Partnership and the Way Forward After Riga, “International Issues & Slovak Foreign Policy Affairs”, Vol. XXIV, No. 1–2, pp. 17–27.
- Stępniewski, T. 2010. Wymiar Wschodni Europejskiej Polityki Sąsiedztwa Unii Europejskiej. Inkluzja bez członkostwa? / The eastern dimension of the European Union’s Neighbourhood Policy. Inclusion without membership?, "Zeszyty natolińskie”, nr 42, Centrum Europejskie Natolin, Warszawa, http://www.natolin.edu.pl/pdf/zeszyty/Natolin_Zeszty_42.pdf.
- Szewcowa, L. 2015. Polem gry Kremla jest chaos, trans. by Andrzej Ehrlich, ''Gazeta Wyborcza / Magazyn Świąteczny”, 27 June 2015, at http://wyborcza.pl/magazyn/1,145325,18248326,Polem_gry_Kremla_jest_chaos.html#TRwknd, 27 June 2015.
- Waal, T. de. 2011. Expanding the EU’s Ostpolitik, "Strategic Europe", October 24, http://carnegieeurope.eu/publications/?fa=45792 (accessed on June 15, 2015).
- Waal T. de, Youngs R., Reform as Resilience: An Agenda for the Eastern Partnership, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, May 14, 2015. Available online: http://carnegieendowment.org (accessed on June 17, 2015).
Publication order reference