Review of Journal Articles on Washback in Language Testing in Turkey (2010-2017)
Languages of publication
The aim of the current paper is to review the national and international journal articles on washback in language testing in Turkey between 2010 and 2017. The studies have been obtained from several databases such as ERIC and ScienceDirect, and the journal websites. The studies conducted on washback in Turkish contexts are divided into two main groups: the studies conducted on washback effects of high-stakes exams in Turkey, and the studies conducted in state and private schools in Turkey. The studies are discussed with respect to their main findings, strengths, and weaknesses and most of these studies are based on the national examinations such as YDS (Foreign Language Exam) and their washback effects on examinees.
Der Band enthält die Abstracts ausschließlich in englischer Sprache.
Le numéro contient uniquement les résumés en anglais.
Том не содержит аннотаций на английском языке.
- Akın, G. 2016. Evaluation of national foreign language test in Turkey. Asian Journal of Educational Research, 4(3), 11-21. Retrieved from http://www.multidisciplinaryjournals.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/FULL-PAPER-EVALUATION-OF-NATIONAL-FOREIGN-LANGUAGE-TEST-IN-TURKEY.pdf
- Akpınar, K. D., Çakıldere, B. 2013. Washback effects of high-stakes language tests of Turkey (KPDS and ÜDS) on productive and receptive skills of academic personnel. Journal of Language and Linguistic Studies, 9(2), 81-94. Retrieved from http://dergipark.ulakbim.gov.tr/jlls/article/download/5000084297/5000078394
- Alderson, J. C., Wall, D. 1993. Does washback exist? Applied Linguistics, 14(2), 115-129.
- Bachman, L. F., Palmer, A. S. 1996. Language Testing in Practice. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Brown, H. D., Abeywickrama, P. 2010. Language Assessment: Principles and Classroom Practice (2nd ed.). New York: Pearson Education.
- Cinkara, E., Tosun, Ö. Ö. 2017. Face validity study of a small-scale test in a tertiary-level intensive EFL program. B.U. Journal of Faculty of Education, 6(2), 395-410.
- Glaser, B. G., Strauss, A. L. 1967. The Discovery of Grounded Theory. New York: Aldine.
- Hatipoğlu, Ç. 2016. The impact of the university entrance exam on EFL education in Turkey: Pre-service English language teachers’ perspective. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 232, 136-144.
- Hughes, A. 2003. Testing for Language Teachers (2nd ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Karabulut, A. 2007. Micro Level Impacts of Foreign Language Test (University Entrance Examination) in Turkey: A Washback Study. (MA thesis). ProQuest Information and Learning Company. UMI: 1448691. Retrieved from http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=15883&context=rtd
- Kılıçkaya, F. 2016. Washback effects of a high-stakes exam on lower secondary school English teachers’ practices in the classroom. Lublin Studies in Modern Languages and Literature, 40(1), 116-134. Retrieved from http://journals.umcs.pl/lsmll/article/view/2167/2877
- Köksal, D. 2004. Assessing teachers' testing skills in ELT and enhancing their professional development in testing and assessment through distance learning on the NET. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, 5(1). Retrieved from http://tojde.anadolu.edu.tr/yonetim/icerik/makaleler/121-published.pdf
- Külekçi, E. 2016. A concise analysis of the Foreign Language Examination (YDS) in Turkey and its possible washback effects. International Online Journal of Education and Teaching, 3(4), 303-315. Retrieved from http://iojet.org/index.php/IOJET/article/view/141/143
- Özmen, K. S. 2011a. Analyzing washback effect of SEPPPO on prospective English teachers. The Journal of Language and Linguistic Studies, 7(2), 24-52. Retrieved from http://www.jlls.org/index.php/jlls/article/view/112/
- Özmen, K. S. 2011b. Washback effects of the inter-university foreign language examination on foreign language competences of candidate academics. Novitas-ROYAL (Research on Youth and Language), 5(2), 215-228. Retrieved from http://www.novitasroyal.org/Vol_5_2/OzmenKS.pdf
- Paker, T. 2012. The backwash effect of the test items in the achievement exams in preparatory classes. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 70, 1463-1471.
- Sarıçoban, A. 2011. A study on the English language teachers’ preparation of tests. H. U. Journal of Education, 41, 398-410. Retrieved from http://www.efdergi.hacettepe.edu.tr/makale_goster.php?id=709
- Sayın, B. A., Aslan, M. M. 2016. The negative effects of undergraduate placement examination of English (LYS-5) on ELT students in Turkey. Participatory Educational Research, 3(1), 30-39.
- Şenel, E., Tütüniş, B. 2011. The washback effect of testing on students’ learning in EFL writing classes. Dil Dergisi, 153, 43-52. Retrieved from http://dergiler.ankara.edu.tr/dergiler/27/1831/19272.pdf
- Yavuzer, H., Göver, İ. H. 2012. Akademik personelin yabancı dil durumu ve yabancı dil sınavlarına bakışı: Nevşehir örneği [The academics’ language proficiency and their views on foreign language exams: Nevşehir Example]. NEÜ Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 1(2), 136-158. Retrieved from http://dergipark.ulakbim.gov.tr/nevsosbilen/article/download/1043000099/1043000057
- Yeşilyurt, S. 2016. An attempt for the exploration of academicians’ experiences of the standard foreign language tests held in Turkey through metaphors. International Journal of Higher Education, 5(2), 263-274.
- Yıldırım, Ö. 2010. Washback effects of a high-stakes university entrance exam: Effects of the English section of the university entrance exam on future language teachers in Turkey. The Asian EFL Journal Quarterly, 12(2), 92-116. Retrieved from http://www.asian-efl-journal.com/PDF/June-2010.pdf
Publication order reference