Shaping the Way We Teach English: Potential Effects of a Teacher Professional Development Program on Jordanian EFL Teachers’ Instructional Practices
Languages of publication
This study examines the potential effect of Shaping the Way We Teach English, a teacher professional development program, on Jordanian English as a foreign language (EFL) teachers’ instructional practices. The participants of the study are 20 Jordanian EFL teachers selected from 14 public schools in North Ghour Directorate of Education in the first semester of the academic year 2018/2019. Observations of the participants, along the seven domains of classroom management, language, teaching strategies, learning strategies, assessment strategies, authentic materials, and reflection, were conducted before and after the treatment to determine whether or not the treatment has an effect on the participants’ instructional practices. Descriptive statistics were used to compare the participants’ performance before and after the treatment. The findings revealed that the participants gained on all seven domains of the observation checklist, with statistically significant differences found (at α=0.05) in their instructional practices before and after the treatment, in favor of the latter. The study concludes with pedagogical implications and recommendations for further research.
Der Band enthält die Abstracts ausschließlich in englischer Sprache.
L'article contient uniquement les résumés en anglais.
- Al Omari, T. A., & Bataineh, R. F. (2014). Jordanian EFL Teachers’ Awareness and Incorporation of Multiple Intelligences into their Pedagogical Practices. Open Access Library Journal, 1(2), 1–22. DOI: 10.4236/oalib.1100327.
- Bandura, A. (1977). Social Learning Theory. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Bani Younis, R., & Bataineh, R.F. (2016). To Dictogloss or not to Dictogloss: Potential Effects on Jordanian EFL Learners’ Writing Performance. Apples – Journal of Applied Language Studies, 10(2), 45–63. DOI: 10.17011/apples/urn.201610114330.
- Bataineh, R. F., & Bani Younis, R. (2016). The Effect of Dictogloss on Jordanian EFL Teachers’ Instructional Practices and Students' Writing Performance. International Journal of Education and Training, 2(1), 1-11.
- Bataineh, R. F., Bataineh, R. F., & Thabet, S. S. (2011). Communicative Language Teaching in the Yemeni EFL Classroom: Embraced or Merely Lip-serviced? Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 2(4), 859-866.
- Bharati, P., & Chalise, S. (2017). Teacher Development: Strategies and Perception. The Saptagandaki Journal, 8, 69-78.
- Bredson, P. (2002). Professional Development of the University Teachers. London: Flamer Press.
- Broad, K., & Evans, M. (2006). A Review of Literature on Professional Development Content and Delivery Modes for Experienced Teachers. University of Toronto. Retrieved August 17, 2019, from http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/guestid/ite/UserFiles/File/AReview ofLiteratureonPD.pdf.
- Darling-Hammond, L., & McLaughlin, M. (1995). Policies that Support Professional Development in an Era of Reform. Phi Delta Kappan, 76(8), 597–604.
- Darling-Hammond, L., & Richardson, N. (2009). Teacher Learning: What Matters? How Teachers Learn, 66(5), 46-53.
- Fullan, M. (1995). The Role of Principal in School Reform. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Garet, M. S., Porter, A. C., Desimone, M. L., Birman, B. F., & Suk Yoon, K. (2001). What Makes Professional Development Effective? Results from a National Sample of Teachers. American Educational Research Journal, 38(4), 915-945. Retrieved September 13, 2019, from https://www.imoberg.com/files/Unit_D_ch._24_--_Garet_et_al._article.pdf.
- Giraldo, F. (2014). The Impact of a Professional Development Program on English Language Teachers’ Classroom Performance. Teachers’ Professional Development, 16(1), 63-76. Retrieved September 13, 2019, from http://www.scielo.org.co/scielo.php?script=sci_ arttext&pid=S1657-07902014000100005.
- Hooker, M. (2006). Models and Best Practices in Teacher Professional Development. Retrieved September 13, 2019, from https://www.academia.edu/5521415/Models_and_Best_Practices-in_Teacher_Professional_Development.
- Ingvarson, L., Meiers, M. & Beavis, A. (2005). Factors affecting the impact of professional development programs on teachers’ knowledge, practice, student outcomes & efficacy. Education Policy Analysis Archives 13(10). Retrieved September 13, 2019, from http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v13n10.
- Joshi, K. R. (2012). English Language Teacher Development. Kathmandu: Intellectuals’ Book Palace.
- Kennedy, M. M. (2016). How Does Professional Development Improve Teaching? Review of Educational Research, 86(4). Retrieved September 13, 2019, from https://journals.sagepub. com/doi/abs/10.3102/0034654315626800.
- King, F. (2012). Developing and Sustaining Teachers’ Professional Learning: A Case Study of Collaborative Professional Development. Unpublished Master’s Thesis, University of Lincoln, Lincoln (United Kingdom). Retrieved July 13, 2019, from http://doras.dcu.ie/22058/1/Thesis_-_Dr__Fiona_King_2012.pdf.
- Mewborn, S., & Huberty, D. (2004). A Site-based Model for Professional Development in Mathematics at the Elementary School Level 2. Pythagoras, 59, 2-7.
- Mizell, H. (2010). Why Professional Development Matters. Oxford (Ohio): Learning Forward. Retrieved August 16, 2019. from https://learningforward.org/docs/default-source/pdf/why_pd_matters_web.pdf.
- Opp-Beckman, L., & Klinghammer, S.J. (2006). Shaping the Way We Teach English: Successful Practices Around the World (Instructor’s manual). United States Department of State, Washington, DC: Office of English Language Programs. Retrieved October 1, 2017, from https://americanenglish.state.gov/files/ae/resource_ files/shaping_the_way_we_teach_series_1.epub.
- Oregon Department of Education (2014). Increasing the Effectiveness of Professional Learning Sections. Retrieved August 17, 2019, from https://www.oregon. gov/ode/schools-and districts/grants/ESEA/IIA/Documents/professional-learning.pdf.
- Porter, A. C., Garet, M. S., Desimone, L., Birman, B. F., Suk Yoon, K. (2000). Does Professional Development Change Teaching Practice? Results from a Three-Year Study. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education.
- Research Program of ELAN Institute for Teacher Training and Professional Development (2014). Advances in Theory and Practice of Teacher Professional Development. Retrieved August 16, 2019, from https://www.utwente.nl/en/ bms/elan/research/elan-research-program-2014-2018-july-2014.pdf.
- Richards, J.C., & Farrell, T. S. C (2005). Professional Development for Language Teachers: Strategies for Teacher Learning. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Retrieved September 13, 2019, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249251998_Professional_ Development_for_Language_Teachers.
- Villegas-Reimers, E. (2003).Teacher Professional Development: An International Review of Literature. UNESCO: International Institute for Educational Planning.
- Wallace, M.J. (1991). Training Foreign Language Teachers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Yarema, S.L. (2015). The Impact of a Professional Development Program on Teachers' Practice and How Context Variables Influenced such Practice: A Case Study. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Wayne State University. Retrieved September 13, 2019, from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e474/e4f49ce785a092b4be9c86c1f9c3d3 25a0f5.pdf.
Publication order reference