Extraordinary Motivation or a High Sense of Personal Agency: The Role of Self-Efficacy in the Directed Motivational Currents Theory
Languages of publication
The purpose of this article is to explore a possible correlation between the concept of self-efficacy and the occurrence of a highly intense motivational surge to which Dörnyei refers to as a Directed Motivational Current. To this end, the first two parts are of purely theoretical nature and aim to familiarise a reader with the background information behind our constructs. The quantitative part of our study supports the existence of a strong correlation between our primary variables. The final section is devoted to the qualitative analysis and discussion of our research project and has revealed a few noteworthy implications, such as the importance of a facilitative structure and a tendency for the value of self-efficacy to increase during a DMC experience.
- Bandura, Albert. 1994. "Self-efficacy." In Encyclopedia of Human Behavior 4, ed. Vilayanur S. Ramachaudran, 71-81. New York: Academic Press.
- Bandura, Albert. 1997. Self-efficacy: The Exercise of Control. New York: Freeman.
- Cohen, Louis, and Lawrence Manion. 2000. Research Methods in Education. London: Routledge Falmer.
- Dörnyei, Zoltan, Christine Muir, and Zana Ibrahim. 2014. "Directed Motivational Currents: Energising language learning through creating intense motivational pathways." In Motivation and foreign language learning: From theory to practice, eds. David Lasagabaster, Aintzane Doiz, and Juan Manuel Sierra, 9-29. Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- Dörnyei, Zoltan, and Maggie Kubanyiova. 2014. Motivating learners, motivating teachers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Dörnyei, Zoltan, Alastair Henry, and Christine Muir. 2016. Motivational currents in language learning: Frameworks for focused interventions. New York: Routledge.
- Henry, Alastair. 2015. "The Anatomy of Directed Motivational Currents: Exploring Intense and Enduring Periods of L2 Motivation." In The Modern Language Journal 99, 329-345.
- Lenz, Elizabeth R., and Lillie M. Shortridge-Baggett. 2002. Self-efficacy in nursing: Research and measurement perspectives. New York: Springer Publishing Co.
- Muir, Christine. 2016. The dynamics of intense long-term motivation in language learning: Directed Motivational Currents in theory and practice. Nottingham: University of Nottingham.
- Schunk, Dale. 1985. "Self-efficacy and classroom learning." In Psychology in the Schools 22, 208-223.
- Schwarzer, Ralf, and Matthias Jerusalem. 1995. "Generalized Self-Efficacy scale." In Measures in health psychology: A user’s portfolio. Causal and control beliefs, eds. John Weinman, Stephen Wright, and Marie Johnston, 35-37. Windsor, UK: NFER-NELSON.
- Waterman, Alan S. 2002. "Reconsidering happiness: A eudaimonist's perspective." In The Journal of Positive Psychology 3, 234-252.
Publication order reference