The aim of this paper is to discuss and answer for the first time the question of the earliest Polish presence at the École biblique et archéologique française de Jérusalem. As an outcome of archival research carried out at St. Stephan’s Convent in Jerusalem following conclusions can be drawn. First of all, the attendance of Poles at the École biblique dates back to the very beginning of the school. As early as in 1892 that is only two years after its first commencement a Polish priest from the Archdiocese of Warsaw, Rev. Adolf Józef Bożeniec Jełowicki started his biblical studies there. He had an occasion to meet in person the founder of the school and the famous professor Fr. Marie-Joseph Lagrange. Rev. Jełowicki was also a witness to the creation of the important periodical “Revue Biblique”. Lectures at that time were few, and in the process of studying, the emphasis was put not only on theoretical knowledge, but also on discovering the Holy Land through practical classes in archeology and topography. Lastly, the stay of Rev. Jełowicki at the École biblique was only one year long nevertheless it resulted in the publication of a professional guide to Jerusalem and its surroundings, as well as several dozen encyclopedic entries on biblical topics. However, after returning to the homeland, Jełowicki could not pursue an academic career path, but the lessons learned at the École biblique became his important asset to future pastoral challenges as a rector in Warsaw, and then as an auxiliary bishop in Lublin.