The National Labour Market Policies in the European Union: Between Europeanization and Re-nationalization
Languages of publication
In the following 20 years after the Maastricht Treaty, we could see the gradual Europeanization of labor market policies. However, as the EU and most of the Member States face the challenges of the European Financial and Sovereign Debt Crisis, the threat of unilateral, particular and chaotic labour market initiatives arise at the national level. The main hypothesis of this paper is an assertion that we are now facing a problem of the re-nationalization of national labour market policies, which is potentially dangerous for the project of building a unified European Labour Market, but also threats the whole concept of the European integration.
- Ashiabor, D., 2001, EMU and the Shift in the European Labour Law Agenda: From ‘Social Policy’ to ‘Employment Policy’, “European Law Journal”, vol. 7, no. 3.
- Bache, I., 1997, The Extended Gatekeeper: Central Government and the Implementation of the EU Regional Policy in the UK, Paper prepared for the panel “Policy Networks and European Integration” at the 1997 European Community Studies Association Conference, Seattle 29 May – 1 June.
- Bergsten, C.F., Kirkegaard, J.F., 2012, The Coming Resolution of the European Crisis: An Update, “Policy Brief”, Number PB 12–18, June, Peterson Institute for International Economics, Washington, D.C.
- Blinder, S., 2012, UK Public Opinion toward Immigration: Overall Attitudes and Level of Concern, “The Migration Observatory”, University of Oxford, February 2.
- Börzel, T.A., 2003, Shaping and Taking EU Policies: Member State Responses to Europeanization, “Queen’s Papers on Europeanisation”, no 2.
- Butti, M., Carnot, N., 2012, The EMU Debt Crisis: Early Lessons and Reforms, “Journal of Common Market Studies”, vol. 50, no. 6.
- Cukierman, A., 2013, Monetary policy and institutions before, during, and after the global financial crisis, “Journal of Financial Stability”, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2115446 (accessed: 20th April 2013).
- Dølvik, J.E., 2004, Industrial Relations in EMU: are Re-nationalization and Europeanization Two sides of the same coin?, in: Martin, A., Ross, G., (eds.), Euros and Europeans: Monetary Integration and the European Model of Society, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK.
- DutchNews.nl, 2012, Problems with Poles? Report them to us, says new PVV website, February 8, http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2012/02/problems_with_poles_report_the.php (accessed: 20th April 2013).
- DWP, 2013, DWP Quarterly Statistical Summary, DWP – Department for Work and Pensions, Newcastle, May 15.
- European Comission, 1993, Growth, competitiveness, employment. The challenges and ways forward into the 21st century, White Paper, Comission of the European Communities, Luxembourg.
- European Commission, 2007, Towards Common Principles of Flexicurity: More and Better Jobs through Flexibility and Security, Office for Official Publications, Luxembourg.
- European Commission, 2010, Europe 2020. A strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth, European Comission, Brussels, March 3.
- European Commission, 2012, Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions. Towards a job-rich recovery, European Commission, Strasbourg, April 18.
- European Communities, 1997, Treaty of Amsterdam Amending the Treaty on European Union, the Treaties Estabilisting the European Communities and Certain Related Acts, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg.
- European Union, 2008, Consolidated version of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, “Official Journal of the European Union”, May 9.
- EUROSTAT, 2013, Europe 2020 indicators, http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/europe_2020_indicators/headline_indicators (accessed: 20th April 2013).
- Goetschy, J., 1999, The European Employment Strategy: Genesis and Development, “European Journal of Industrial Relations”, vol. 5, no. 2.
- Groves, J., 2012, Jobless migrants from Romania and Bulgaria face NHS hospital ban: But May gives no clue as to how it will be enforced, “Daily Mail”, November 11, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2231387/Jobless-migrants-Romania-Bulgaria-face-NHS-hospital-ban-But-May-gives-clue-enforced.html (accessed: 20th April 2013).
- Hawkins, B., 2012, Nation, Separation and Threat: An Analysis of British Media Discourses on the European Union Treaty Reform Process, “Journal Of Common Market Studies”, vol. 50, no. 4.
- Helm, T., 2013, EU warns Cameron over 'knee-jerk xenophobia', “The Observer”, March 30, http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/30/eu-cameron-xenophobia-immigration (accessed: 20th April 2013).
- Heyes, J., 2013, Flexicurity in crisis: European labour market policies in a time of austerity, “European Journal of Industrial Relations”, March, vol. 19, no. 1.
- Ladrech, R., 1994, Europeanization of Domestic Politics and Institutions: The Case of France, “Journal of Common Market Studies”, vol. 32, no. 1.
- News&Star, 2013, Cumbria police investigate BNP election leaflet, newsandstar.co.uk, May 3, http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/1.1053915 (accessed: 20th April 2013).
- Papademetriou, D.G., Sumption, M., Terrazas, A., Burkert, C., Loyal, S., Ferrero-Turrión, R., 2010, Migration and Immigrants Two Years after the Financial Collapse: Where Do We Stand?, Migration Policy Institute, Washington, DC.
- Rinke, A., Pomeroy, R., 2013, Merkel says early retirement could tackle EU youth unemployment, April 15, http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/04/15/uk-germany-merkel-labour-idUKBRE93E0YF20130415 (accessed: 20th April 2013).
- Taylor, A., 2008, UK labour fears as migrants go home, “Financial Times”, March 30, http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0a5ffe4c-fcca-11dc-961e-000077b07658.html#axzz2YY27S7eP (accessed: 20th April 2013).
- Van Rie, T., Marx, I., 2012, The European Union at Work? The European Employment Strategy from Crisis to Crisis, “Journal of Common Market Studies”, vol. 50, no. 2.
- van Vliet, O., Koster, F., 2011, Europeanization and the political economy of active labour market policies, “European Union Politics”, June, vol. 12, no. 2.
- Vis, B., van Kersbergen, K., Hylands, T., 2011, To What Extent Did the Financial Crisis Intensify the Pressure to Reform the Welfare State?, “Social Policy & Administration”, August, vol. 45, no. 4.
- Wintour, P., 2013, EU nationals may be banned from benefits in UK under new proposals, “The Guardian”, March 25, http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/25/eu-nationals-benefits-uk-proposals (accessed: 20th April 2013).
- World Bank, 2013, World Development Indicators, http://databank.worldbank.org, The World Bank, Washington D.C.
Publication order reference