An Empirical Investigation into the EU Policy in Favour of Business Succession among Polish Family Firms
Languages of publication
The paper summarizes institutional factors that matter for implementing the policy of support for business succession by European Union member states. Describing challenges for family business in Europe is the starting point for the discussion. The main part focuses on the analysis of the EU documents in favour of ownership transfer and succession of enterprises. Paper provides an analysis of legal, administrative and institutional factors (but from the point of view of economics and management sciences) on the basis of the recommendations made by the European Commission on conducting the policy of support for business succession by member states, worked out on the basis of reports assessing the implementation progress of member states in this scope.
- Charmaz, K., 2006, Constructing Grounded Theory. A Practical Guide Through Qualitative Analysis, SAGE Publications, London – Los Angeles – New Delhi – Singapore – Washington D.C.
- European Commission 1994a, Commission Recommendation of 7 December 1994 on the transfer of small and medium-sized enterprises, O.J. EC L 385 z 31.12.1994, p. 14-17.
- European Commission 1994b, Communication from the Commission of 29 June 1994 on the transfer of businesses. Actions in favour of SMEs, O.J. EC C 204 z 23.07.1994, p. 1-23.
- European Commission 1994c, Communication on the Commission Recommendation of 7 December 1994 on the transfer of small and medium-sized enterprises, O.J. EC C 400 z 31.12.1994, p. 1-9.
- European Commission 1997, Recommendations of the European Forum on the Transfer of Business on 3 and 4 February 1997 in Lille, version of 24.03.1997.
- European Commission 1998, Communication from the Commission on the transfer of small and medium-sized enterprises, O.J. ECC 093 z 28.03.1998, p. 2-12.
- European Commission 2002a, European Seminar on the Transfer of Businesses. Final Report, European Commission – DG Enterprise and Industry, Austrian Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Labour, Vienna 2002.
- European Commission 2002b, Final Report of the Export Group on the Transfer of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises, European Commission – DG Enterprise and Industry, Brussels – May 2002.
- European Commission 2003a, Green Paper on Entrepreneurship in Europe (presented by the Commission), Brussels 21.01.2003, document based on COM(2003) 27 final.
- European Commission 2003c, Transfer of Businesses. Continuity through a New Beginning. Final Report of the MAP 2002 Project, European Commission – DG Enterprise and Industry, Brussels – August 2003.
- European Commission 2004a, Action Plan: The European Agenda for Entrepreneurship, Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee Of The Regions, Brussels, 11.02.2004, COM(2004) 70 final.
- European Commission 2004a, Progress Report on the Implementation of Phase I Key Actions of the Action Plan: The European Agenda for Entrepreneurship, Commission Staff Working Paper, Brussels, 06.06.2005, SEC(2005) 768, COM(2004) 70 final.
- European Commission 2006a, Implementing the Lisbon Community Programme for Growth and Jobs. Transfer of Businesses – Continuity through a new beginning. Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, Brussels, 14.03.2006, COM(2006) 117 final.
- European Commission 2006b, Markets for Business Transfers. Fostering Transparent Marketplaces for the Transfer of Businesses in Europe. Report of the Expert Group, European Commission – DG Enterprise and Industry, Brussels – May 2006.
- European Council 2000, Council Decision 2000/819/EC of 20 December 2000 on a multiannual programme for enterprise and entrepreneurship, and in particular for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) (2001-2005), O.J. EC L 333 z 29.12.2000, p. 84-91.
- Lyon, D.W., Lumpkin, G.T., Dess, G.G., 2000, Enhancing Entrepreneurial Orientation Research: Operationalizing and Measuring a Key Strategic Decision Making Process, “Journal of Management”, vol. 26, no. 5.
- Mandl, I., 2008, Overview of Family Business Relevant Issues. Final Report, Austrian Institute for SME Research, Vienna.
- Surdej, A., Wach, K., 2010, Przedsiębiorstwa rodzinne wobec wyzwań sukcesji, Difin, Warszawa.
- Surdej, A., Wach, K., 2011, Succession Choices in Family Businesses. The Case of Poland, Wydawnictwo Adam Marszałek, Toruń – Kraków.
- Wach, K., 2011, Polityka Unii Europejskiej w zakresie sukcesji przedsiębiorstw, „Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Krakowie”, nr 866.
Publication order reference