The Problem of the Status of Harmony in Pythagorean Philosophy
Languages of publication
RESEARCH OBJECTIVE: The aim of this article is to analyze the ontic status of harmony in Pythagorean philosophy. THE RESEARCH PROBLEMS AND METHODS: The main problem undertaken in the article is an analysis of the ontic status of harmony in Pythagorean philosophy, conducted within the context of the theory of principles. The research method is based on an analysis of source texts. THE PROCESS OF ARGUMENTATION: The article begins with an analysis of passages from the works of Philolaus of Croton. Next, the treaty Peri archan attributed to Archytas of Tarentum is analyzed. The analysis of the source texts includes references to the main interpretative positions contained in the secondary literature. RESEARCH RESULTS: The most important result of the scientific analysis conducted here is the organization of the possible interpretations of the ontic status of harmony and indication of the main difficulties associated with them. CONCLUSIONS, INNOVATIONS, AND RECOMMENDATIONS: In his conclusions, the author indicates interpretative possibilities resulting from the perspective taken in the article, as well as areas that require further study, concerning such issues as the relationship between Pythagorean and Orphic thought.
- Burkert, W. (1972). Lore and Science in Ancient Pythagoreanism. Transl. E.L. Minar, Jr. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Gajda-Krynicka, J. (2001). Filozofia pitagorejska w nurcie „fizyki” przedplatońskiej. Przegląd Filozoficzny – Nowa Seria, 2(38).
- A Greek-English Lexicon. (1996). Comp. H.G. Liddell, R. Scott. Rev. H.S. Jones. Oxford.
- Guthrie, K.S. (1987). The Pythagorean Sourcebook and Library. An Anthology of Ancient Writings Which Relate to Pythagoras and Pythagorean Philosophy. Grand Rapids: Phanes Press.
- Huffman, C.A. (1993). Philolaus of Croton. Pythagorean and Presocratic. A commentary on the Fragments and Testimonia with Interpretive Essays. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Huffman, C.A. (2005). Archytas of Tarentum. Pythagorean, philosopher and mathematician king. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Thesleff, H. (1965). The Pythagorean Texts of the Hellenistic period. Åbo: Åbo Akademi.
- Viltanioti, I.-F. (2012). Powers as the Fundamental Entities in Philolaus’ Ontology. Journal of Ancient Philosophy. Vol. VI, issue 2.
- Vogel, C.J. de (1966). Pythagoras and Early Pythagoreanism. An Interpretation of Neglected Evidence on the Pythagoras. Assen: Van Gorcum & Company.
Publication order reference