Mechanical and Physicochemical Evaluation of Alkaleri Fireclay for Refractory Application
Languages of publication
The mechanical, chemical and physical property of Alkaleri fireclay was investigated for its appropriateness for refractory application. The chemical composition was performed and analyzed using the X-ray fluorescence (XRF) spectrometer Bench top XRF analyzer technique. Chemical property result indicated that the clay contained 67.4 % silica (SiO2), 30.06 % aluminum (Al2O3), and other impurities. The clay was subjected to mechanical activation through sintering process at varied sintering temperatures of 900 °C, 1000 °C, 1100 °C and 1200 °C. At the best sintering temperature of 1200 °C, the cold crushing strength (CCS) was 17.82 MPa, in the physical properties; apparent porosity was 22.8 %, bulk density was 1.8 g/cm3, and firing shrinkage was 8.9 %. The Alkaleri clay belongs to alumino-silicate fireclay group and therefore, suitable materials for refractory application of ladle, kiln dryer, boilers, cook stoves, furnace lining and bricks.
- Aliyu, S., Garba, B., Danshehu, B. G., & Isah, A. D. (2013). Studies on the Chemical and Physical Characteristics of Selected Clay Samples. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology, 2(7), 171–183.
- Amkpa, J. A., Badarulzaman, N. A., & Aramjat, A. B. (2017). Impact of Sintering Temperatures on Microstructure, Porosity and Mechanical Strength of Refractory Brick. Materials Science Forum, 888, 66–70. doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/msf.888.66
- Amkpa, J. A., & Badarulzaman, N. A. (2017). Thermal Conductivity of Barkin-ladi Fireclay Brick as Refractory Lining. IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, 14(2), 1–5.
- Ramaswamy, S., & Raghavan, P. S. (2011). Significance of Impurity Mineral Identification in the Value Addition of Kaolin-A Case Study with Reference to an Acidic Kaolin from India. International Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, 10(11), 1007–1025. doi: 10.4236/jmmce.2011.1011077
- Salem, S., & Salem, A. (2013). Mechanisms of Momentum Transport in Viscous Flow Sintering. In B. Ertug (Ed.), Sintering Applications (pp. 287–318). Rijekadoi: InTech. doi: 10.5772/53259
- Amkpa, J. A., & Badarulzaman, N. A. (2016). Performance Assessment of Physico-Mechanical Properties of Aloji Fireclay Brick. International Journal of Integrated Engineering, 8(2), 13–15.
- Amkpa, J. A., & Badarulzaman, N. A. (2016). Thermal conductivity of Aloji Fireclay Brick. International Journal of Integrated Engineering, 8(3), 16–20.
- Djangang, C. N., Kamseu, E., Ndikontar, M. K., Nana, G. L. L., Soro, J., Melo, U. C., Elimbi, A., Blanchart, P., & Njopwouo, D. (2011). Sintering Behaviour of Porous Ceramic Kaolin-Corundum Composites: Phase Evolution and Densification. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 528(29–30), 8311-8318. doi: 10.1016/j.msea.2011.07.006
- Chester, H. J. (1973). Refractories: Production and Properties. London: The Iron and Steel Institute.
- Tang, D., Lim, H. B., Lee, K. J., Ha, S. J., Kim, K. B., Cho, M. W., Park, K., & Cho, W. S. (2013). Mechanical Properties and High Speed Machining Characteristic of Al2O3-Based Ceramics for Dental Implants. Journal of Ceramic Processing Research, 14(5), 610–615.
- Abdullahi, M. Y., & Samaila, U. (2007). Characterization of some Nigerian Clays as Refractory Materials for Furnace Lining. Continental Journal of Engineering Sciences, 2, 30–35.
- Amkpa, J. A., Badarulzaman, N. A., & Aramjat, A. B. (2017). Influence of Sintering Temperatures on Physico-Mechanical Properties and Microstructure of Refractory Fireclay Bricks. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 8(6), 2588–2593. doi: 10.21817/ijet/2016/v8i6/160806214
- ASTM International. (2014). Practices for Preserving and Transporting Soil Samples (ASTM D4220/D4220M-14). doi: 10.1520/d4220_d4220m
- ASTM International. (2015). Test Methods for Apparent Porosity, Water Absorption, Apparent Specific Gravity, and Bulk Density of Burned Refractory Brick and Shapes by Boiling Water (ASTM C20-00). doi: 10.1520/c0020-00r15
- ASTM International. (2015). Test Method for Cold Crushing Strength and Modulus of Rupture of Refractories (ASTM C133-97). doi: 10.1520/c0133-97r15
Publication order reference