The Use of Moringa Leaves Extract as a Plant Growth Hormone on Cowpea (Vigna Anguiculata)
Languages of publication
The use of Moringa oleifera leaves extract as plant growth hormone on cowpea plant (Vigna unguiculata) has been studied at the biological garden of Usmanu Danfodiyo university, Sokoto. An extract was made by grinding young moringa leaves and diluted with water at the ratio of 1:30 25 mls, three blocks were made labelled M, F and D, with three replications each, the extract prepared was applied on block ‘M’ only, while a small pinch of synthetic fertilizer (Urea) was applied in block ‘F’ and a control treatment was set up using distilled water, which applied to each plant in hill D. results indicates that in the 3rd week of observation the cowpea plants treated with moringa extract have the highest mean of stems, number of leaves and branches, length of leaves and branches, and thickness of stem. Then followed by those treated fertilizer mean and finally those treated with distilled water this result shows that moringa leaves extract has an improving effects on the growth of cowpea. Moringa leaf extract (MLE) is rich with numerous growth hormones, particularly zeatin that has been reported to increase the crops yield in the range of 10-45 %. Moringa leaf juice also contains micronutrients in sufficient quantities and suitable proportions that increase the growth, yield components and yield of a variety of crops.
- Abd El-Mageed, T. A., Semida, W. M., & Rady, M. M. (2017). Moringa leaf extract as biostimulant improves water use efficiency, physio-biochemical attributes of squash plants under deficit irrigation. Agricultural Water Management, 193, 46–54. doi: 10.1016/j.agwat.2017.08.004
- Adekiya, A. O., Agbede, T. M., Aboyeji, C. M., Dunsin, O., & Ugbe, J. O. (2017). Green manures and NPK fertilizer effects on soil properties, growth, yield, mineral and vitamin C composition of okra (Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) Moench). Journal of the Saudi Society of Agricultural Sciences. doi: 10.1016/j.jssas.2017.05.005
- Basra, S., Iftikhar, M., & Afzal, I. (2011). Potential of moringa (Moringa oleifera) leaf extract as priming agent for hybrid maize seeds. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology, 13(6), 1006–1010.
- Boukar, O., Massawe, F., Muranaka, S., Franco, J., Maziya-Dixon, B., Singh, B., & Fatokun, C. (2011). Evaluation of cowpea germplasm lines for protein and mineral concentrations in grains. Plant Genetic Resources, 9(04), 515–522. doi: 10.1017/s1479262111000815
- Culver, M., Fanuel, T., & Chiteka, A. (2012). Effect of Moringa extract on growth and yield of tomato. Greener Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 2(5), 207–211.
- Davies, P. (2015). Plant hormones and their role in plant growth and development. N. d.: Milton Keynes.
- Davies, P. (Ed.). (2010). Plant Hormones: Biosynthesis, Signal Transduction, Action! N. d.: Springer.
- Davies, P. J. (1987). The Plant Hormones: Their Nature, Occurrence, and Functions. Plant Hormones and Their Role. In Plant Growth and Development (pp. 1–11). doi: 10.1007/978-94-009-3585-3_1
- Ericksen, P., Ingram, J., & Liverman, D. (2010). Food security and global environmental change. London: Earthscan.
- Fuglie, L. (1999). The miracle tree: Moringa oleifera, natural nutrition for the tropics. New York: Church World Service.
- Howladar, S. M. (2014). A novel Moringa oleifera leaf extract can mitigate the stress effects of salinity and cadmium in bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) plants. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 100, 69–75. doi: 10.1016/j.ecoenv.2013.11.022
- Mona, M. A. (2013). The potential of Moringa oleifera extract as a biostimulant in enhancing the growth, biochemical and hormonal contents in rocket (Eruca vesicaria subsp. sativa) plants. International Journal of Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, 5(3), 42–49. doi: 10.5897/ijppb2012.026
- Nasir, M., Khan, A. S., Basra, S. M. A., & Malik, A. U. (2016). Foliar application of moringa leaf extract, potassium and zinc influence yield and fruit quality of “Kinnow” mandarin. Scientia Horticulturae, 210, 227–235. doi: 10.1016/j.scienta.2016.07.032
- Phiri, C. (2010). Influence of Moringa oleifera leaf extracts on germination and early seedling development of major cereals. Agriculture and Biology Journal of North America, 1(5), 774–777. doi: 10.5251/abjna.2010.1.5.774.777
- Sreerama, Y. N., Sashikala, V. B., Pratape, V. M., & Singh, V. (2012). Nutrients and antinutrients in cowpea and horse gram flours in comparison to chickpea flour: Evaluation of their flour functionality. Food Chemistry, 131(2), 462–468. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.09.008
- Taiz, L., Zeiger, E., Moller, I., & Murphy, A. (2015). Plant physiology and development (6th ed.). Sunderland: Sinauer.
- Yasmeen, A. (2011). Exploring the potential of moringa (Moringa oleifera) leaf extract as natural plant growth enhancer (Doctoral dissertation; University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan). Retrieved from http://docplayer.net/21758964-Exploring-the-potential-of-moringa-moringa-oleifera-leaf-extract-as-natural-plant-growth-enhancer.html
Publication order reference