Predicting intention to share news through social media: An empirical analysis in Indonesian youth context
Languages of publication
The development of digital technology encourages the growth of social media. Social media becomes a platform for sharing news, information, images, and many other things. News spreads faster and becomes viral. This phenomenon can be regarded as a "news-find-me" phenomenon. The aim of this research is to assess the relationship between information sharing, entertainment, and socialization as three main predictors of attitude towards news sharing. This research also assesses the relationship between attitude and intention to share news. The data was collected through a survey with the non-probability sampling technique. Specifically, a purposive sampling design involving 200 respondents was applied. The data then were analyzed by applying structural equation modeling. Results show that all research hypotheses were supported.
- Ajzen, I. (2006). Constructing a TPB questionnaire: Conceptual and methodological considerations. Retrieved September 09, 2017, from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu
- Amedie, J. (2015). The impact of social media on society. Santa Clara University. Retrieved 15 08, 2017, from http://scholarcommons.scu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1002&context =engl_176.
- Anderson, M., & Caumont, A. (2014). How social media is reshaping news. Retrieved September 09, 2017, from http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/09/24/how-social-media-is-reshaping-news/
- Apaolaza, V., Hartmann, P., He, J., Barrutia, J. M., & Echerbarria, C. (2015). Shanghai adolescents’ brand interactions on the Chinese social networking site Qzone: A Uses and Gratifications approach. Revista Espanola de Investigacion de Marketing ESIC, 19, 62-70.
- Asiwe, D., Rothmann, S., Jorgensen, L., & Hill, C., 2017. Engagement of employees in a research organization: A relational perspective, South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences 20(1), a1534. https://doi.org/10.4102/sajems.v20i1.1534.
- Bagozzi, R. P. (2009). Consumer agency and action.The SAGE Handbook of Marketing Theory. Paulina Maclaran, Michael Saren, Barbara Stern, and Mark Tadajewski (eds.), SAGE: London.
- Baruah, T. D. (2012). Effectiveness Of social media as a tool of communication and its potential for technology enabled connections: a micro-level study. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 2(5), 1-10.
- Bolton, R. N., Parasuraman, A., Hoefnagels, A., Migchels, N., Kabadayi, S., Gruber, T., Loureiro, Y. K., & Solnet, D. (2013). Understanding generation Y and their use of social media: A review and research agenda. Journal of Service Management, 24(3), 245-267.
- Boomsma, A. (1985). Nonconvergence, improper solutions, and starting values in LISREL Maximum Likelihood Estimation. Psychometrika, 50, 229-242.
- Borsa, J. C., Damásio, B. F., & Bandeira, D. R. (2012). Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of psychological instruments: some considerations. Paidéia (Ribeirão Preto), 22(53), 423-432.
- Chan-Olmstead, S. M., Cho, M., & Lee, S. (2013). User perceptions of social media: a comparative study of perceived characteristics and user profiles by social media. Online Journal of Communication and Media Technologies, 3(4), 149-178.
- Din, N., & Haron, S. (2012). Knowledge sharing as a culture among Malaysian online social networking users. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Studies, 50, 1043-1050.
- Hair, J. F, Money, A.H., Samouel, P., & Page, M. (2007). Research Methods for Business. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons.
- Hanson, G., & Haridakis, P. (2008). YouTube users watching and sharing the news: a uses and gratifications approach. The Journal of Electronic Publishing, 11,3. Available at: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jrp/3336451.0011.305?view=text;rgi=main.
- Hooper, D., Coughlan, J., & Mullen, M. R. (2008). Structural equation modeling: guidelines for determining model fit. The Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods, 6(1), 53-60.
- Hox, J. J., & Bechger, T. M. (1998). An introduction to structural equation modeling. Family Science Review, 11, 354-373.
- Hsu, M-H., Chang, H-C, & Lin, Y-W. (2015). Determinants of continued use of social media: the perspectives of uses and gratifications theory and perceived interactivity. Information Research, 20(2).
- Kaplan, A. M., & Haenlein, M. (2010). Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media. Business Horizons, 53, 59-68.
- Kline, R. B. (1998). Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling. New York: Guilford.
- Lee, C. S., Ma, L., & Goh, D. H. (2011). Why do people share news in social media? Paper presented at the 7thInternational Conference on Active Media Technology, September, China.
- Ma, L., & Lee, C. S. (2011). News sharing in social media. The effect of gratifications and prior experience. Computers in Human Behavior, 28, 331-339.
- Mayfield, A. (2008). What is social media? iCrossing. Retrieved September 09, 2017 from www.icrossing.co.uk/.../What_is_Social_Media_iCrossing_ebook.pdf.
- Mendelsohn, J., & McKenna, J. (2010). Social sharing research reports: how, why, and what content people share online. Retrieved August 15, 2017 from http://www.cmbinfo.com/
- Park, H., & Blenkinsopp, J. (2009). Whistleblowing as planned behavior: A survey of South Korean police officers. Journal of Business Ethics, 85(4), 545-556.
- Patten, M. L. (2017). Understanding research methods: An overview of the essential, 9th edn. NY: Routledge.
- Schiffman, L. G., & Wisenblit, K. L. (2015). Consumer behavior, 11th edn. USA: Pearson.
- Schreiber, J. B., Stage, F. K., King, J., Nora, A., & Berlow, E. A. (2006). Reporting structural equation modeling and confirmatory factor analysis results: A review. The Journal of Educational Research, 99, 323-337.
- Sheth, S., & Kim, J. (2017). Social media marketing: The effect of information sharing, entertainment, emotional connection and peer pressure on the attitude and purchase intentions. GSTF Journal on Business Review, 5(1), 62-70.
- Turchik, J. A., & Gidycz, C. A. (2012). Exploring the intention-behavior relationship in the prediction of social risk behavior: Can it be strengthened? J. Sex Res, 49, 50-60.
- Uitz, I. (2012). Social media - is it worth the trouble? Journal of Internet Social Networking & Virtual Communities, 1-14. DOI: 10.5171/2012.313585
- Widiartanto, Y. H. (2016). 2016, Penggunaan internet di Indonesia capai 132 juta [Internet usage in Indonesia reached 132 million ] Retrieved August 15, 2017 from http://tekno.kompas.com
- Wixom, B. H., & Watson, H. J. (2001). An empirical investigation of the factors affecting data warehousing success. MIS Quarterly, 25(1), 17-41.
- Wong, L. Y. C., & Burkell, J. (2017). Motivations for sharing news on social media. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Social Media & Society, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Zikmund, W. G., Babin, B. J., Carr, J. C., & Griffin, M. (2010). Business research methods, 8th edn. Canada: South-Western Cengage Learning.
Publication order reference