Teachers’ Perceived Factors of Deviant Behavior among Secondary School Students in Kwara State: Implication for Educational Managers
Languages of publication
This study investigates students’ deviant behaviors as perceived by their teachers in secondary schools with the aim of knowing the factors responsible for such behaviors. The study adopts the quantitative approach to carry out the research. Stratifid and simple random techniques were usednto select 380 participants that participated in the study. An instrument tagged “Factors of Deviant Behaviors and Measures Questionnaire" (FDBMQ) was used to elicit data from the respondents. Partial Least Square (PLS) software was used to assess the psychometric properties of the items contained in the questionnaire, while Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) was used to do the descriptive analysis. In addition, the analysis of variance (ANOVA) was used to test the three hypotheses formulated for the study. Results of the study revealed three factors (parent, society and school) that contribute to deviant behaviors. Findings also indicate measures that can be used to minimize deviant behaviors. Also, the results of the ANOVA showed a signifiant difference, while Duncan’s Multiple Range Test (DMRT) was used as a post-hoc test to determine the group that contributes to the signifiant difference. The results of the three hypotheses confimed that signifiant difference exists on the basis of religion, age, and educational qualifiations. Based on the fidings of the study, implication for educational managers and future research direction were provided.
- Akers, R. L. (1998). Social Learning and Social Structure: A General Theory of Crime and Deviance. Boston, MA: Northeastern University Press.
- Akers, R. L., & Jensen, G. F. (2005). Empirical Status of Social Learning Theory of Crime and Deviance: ThePast, Present, and Future. Advances in Criminological Theory, 15.
- Akers, R. L., & Sellers, C. S. (2004). Criminological Theories: Introduction, Evaluation, and Application. Los Angeles, CA: Roxbury Publishing.
- Akseer, T., Bosacki, S. L., Rose-Krasnor, L., & Coplan, R. J. (2014). Canadian elementary school teachers’ perceptions of gender differences in shy girls and boys in the classroom. Canadian Journal of School Psychology, 0829573514521992.
- Asiyai, R. I. (2005). “Trade union disputes and their perceived impacts on the University in Nigeria”. Unpublished Doctoral Thesis Delta State University, Abraka.
- Asonibare, J.B. 2016. Modifying maladaptive behavior in schools. Guidance and counselling in education. Ilorin: University Press.
- Bolu-Steve, F.N & Esere, M.O. (2017). Strategies for managing deviant behaviour among in-school adolescents as expressed by secondary school counsellors in Kwara State. Inkanyiso Journal Hum & Soc Sci, 9(1).
- Boyd, J.L. 2015. National institute on drug abuse, brains and behavior. Viewed 3 June 2015, from http://www.livestrong.com/disease_and_conditions.
- Cluver, L., Bowes, L., and Gardner, F. (2010), “Risk and protective factors for bullying victimization among AIDS-affected and vulnerable children in South Africa”, Child Abuse & Neglect, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 793–803.
- Creswell, J. (2009). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches. SAGE Publications, Incorporated.
- Creswell, J. W., & Clark, V. L. P. (2007). Designing and conducting mixed methods research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Duarte, P., & Raposo, M. (2010). A PLS model to study brand preference: An application to the mobile phone market. In V. Esposito Vinzi, W. W. Chin, J. Henseler & H. Wang (Eds.), Handbook of Partial Least Squares (pp. 449-485):Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Dyregrov, A., Dyregrov, K., & Idsoe, T. (2013). Teachers’ perceptions of their role facing children in grief. Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties, 18(2), 125-134.
- Efstratopoulou, M. A., Janssen, R., & Simons, J. (2012). Children’s Deviant Behavior in Primary Education: Comparing Physical Educator’s Implicit Theory With Diagnostic Criteria. Journal of attention disorders, 1087054712449479.
- Esere, M.O. 2008. Effect of sex education programme on at-risk sexual behaviour of school-going adolescents in Ilorin, Nigeria. African Health Sciences, 8(2), 120 - 125. Viewed 19 December 2017,fromhttp://www.bioline.org.br/abstract?id=hs08026&lang=en.
- Espelage, D.L., Polanin, J.R., and Low, S.K. (2014), “Teacher and staff perceptions of school environment as predictors of student aggression, victimization, and willingness to intervene in bullying situations”, School Psychology Quarterly, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 287–305.
- Estevez, E., Musitu, G., & Herero, J. (2005). The influence of violent behaviour and victimization at school on psychological distress: the role of parents and teachers. Adolescence, 40(157), 183-19.
- Garry, E. N. (2001). Truancy: First Step in a Lifetime of Problems. Official Bulletin of Juvenile,Justice and Delinquency Prevention. Washington: Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, United States Department of Justice.
- Gray,J.,& Jesson,M. (1990). Truancy in secondary schools amongst fifth year pupils. Links, 15,25-33.
- Hair, J.F., Sarstedt, M., Ringle, M.C., and Mena, A.J. (2012). An assessment of the use of partial least squares structural equation modeling in marketing research." Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 40, no. 3, 414-433.
- Helms, S. W., Choukas-Bradley, S., Widman, L., Giletta, M., Cohen, G. L., & Prinstein, M. J. (2014). Adolescents misperceive and are influenced by high-status peers’ health risk, deviant, and adaptive behavior. Developmental psychology, 50(12), 2697.
- Ibrahim, F. A. (2009). Teachers’ perception on the causes of deviant behavior among secondary school students in Ilorin East Local Government Area. Unpublished B.Ed Thesis in the Department of Counsellor Education University of Ilorin.
- Idowu, A. I. (2008). Prevalence of Smoking and Drug Use among Students in Ilorin Metropolis: Implications for Counselling. Retrieved October 2, 2009 from http://www.google.com/articles.
- Idris, O. (2016). Causes of deviant behaviour among in-school adolescents in Lagos. Unpublished M.Ed Project Submitted to the Department of Educational Foundation, Lagos State University.
- Iheanyi, N.O. & Ikechi, O.O.(2012). Causes and levels of truancy among secondary school students: A case study of Rivers State, Nigeria. Problems of education in the 21st century Volume 45.
- Jamiu, M.S. (2011). Causes and Remedies of Deviant Behaviors. Unpublised Masters ‘thesis, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria.
- Malak, S., Dispeller, J. M., & Sharma, U. (2014). Bangladeshi teachers' perceptions about student behaviour in primary schools. International Journal on School Disaffection, 11(1), 59-78.
- Ojedokun, O., Ogungbamila, A., & Kehinde, D. (2013). Perception of Parental Bonding and Tendency to Perpetrate Aggressive Behaviour in a Sample of Nigerian Students. Frontiers, 2(3), 117-124.
- Ojo, A.I. (2000), Strategies for improving guidance and counselling services as perceived by teachers and counsellors in secondary schools in Ogbomosho Metropolis. Unpublished B.Ed Project submitted to the Department of Counsellor Education University of Ilorin
- Ololube, N. P. (2013). School safety and security: concerns and forms of deviant behaviours and rejoinder to educational goals. International Journal of Education Economics and Development, 4(2), 147-169.
- Omoegun,M. (1995). The Adolescent and You. Lagos: Mobolak Publishing Co.
- Omotosho, F. 2009. Relationship between boredom and deviant behavior among adolescents in Ilorin metropolis. Unpublished B.Ed thesis in the Department of Counsellor Education University of Ilorin.
- Orsati, F. T., & Causton-Theoharis, J. (2013). Challenging control: inclusive teachers’ and teaching assistants’ discourse on students with challenging behaviour. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 17(5), 507-525.
- Osarenren,N. A. (1996). Absenteeism and Truancy. In E.O. Obe (Ed.) School Indiscipline and Remedies. Lagos: Premier Press Publishers.
- Owodunni,A. A. (2008). Prevalence of Cigarette Smoking Behaviour among School Truants in Ijebu Ode,Ogun State,Nigeria: Implications for Counselling. African Journal of Cross-cultural Psychology and Sports Facilitation, 10, 170-181.
- Owusu, A., Hart, P., Oliver, B. & Kang, M. (2010). Association between bullying and psychological health among senior high school students in Ghana, West Africa. Journal of School Health, Vol. 81, No.5.
- Oyerinde, O. O. (2004). Sports preference of secondary school student smokers and non-smokers in the South Western States of Nigeria. Department of Physical and Health Education, University of Ilorin, Ilorin. Retrieve from: http://www.com/articles.
- Oyesola,G. O. (2002). Discipline in Schools. In Durosaro,F. and S. Ogunsaju (Eds.). The Craft of Educational Management. Ilorin: Haytee Press and Publishing Co.
- Pallant, J. (2010). SPSS survival manual: A step by step guide to data analysis usingParks, C. D. (2004). Group norms. In J. M. Burns, G. R. Goethals & G. J. Sorenson (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Leadership (pp. 627-630). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Pas, E. T., & Bradshaw, C. P. (2014). What affects teacher ratings of student behaviors? The potential influence of teachers’ perceptions of the school environment and experiences. Prevention science, 15(6), 940-950.
- Ponfua, Y.N. (2015). Students’ Indiscipline: Types, Causes and Possible Solutions: The Case of Secondary Schools in Cameroon. Journal of Education and Practice, Vol.6, No.22.
- Primary school pupils protest sack of 21,780 teachers (2017), available at: http://www.pulse.ng/communities/student/primary-school-pupils-protest-sack-of-21-780-teachers-video-id7568443.html (accessed: 9 April 2018).
- Reid,K. (1999). Truancy and Schools. London: Routledge.
- Richardson, N. (2014). Teachers' perceptions of resistant behaviour of children in the middle childhood developmental phase (Doctoral dissertation, North-West University).
- Rothman,S. (2001). School Absence and Students’ Background Factors: AMultilevel Analysis. International Educational Journal, 2 (1), 59-68.
- Ryan, A. M., & Shim, S. S. (2012). Changes in help seeking from peers during early adolescence: Associations with changes in achievement and perceptions of teachers. Journal of educational psychology, 104(4), 1122.
- Salami, S.O., and Aremu, A.O. (2006), Relationship between problem-solving ability and study behaviour among school-going adolescents in southwestern Nigeria, available at: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=Salami%2C+S.+O.%2C+%26+Are
- mu%2C+A.+O.+%282006%29.+Relationship+between+problemsolving+ability+and+study+behaviour+among+schoolgoing+adolescents+in+southwestern+Nigeria.+Retrieved+xxxx+&btnG (accessed: 10 August 2018).
- Sekaran, U., & Bougie, R. (2003). Research methodology for business. A Skill Building Approach (5th ed.), John Wiley & Sons, UK.
- Sekaran, U., & Bougie, R. (2009). Research Methods for business: A Skill building approach. 5th Ed. A John Wiley and sons, Ltd. United Kingdom.
- Siziya,S.,Muula,S.,& Rudatsikira,E. (2007). Prevalence and Correlates of Truancy among Adolescents in Swaziland: Findings from the Global School-Based Health Survey. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health, 1, 1-15.
- Sulaiman, J.M. (2011), Causes and remedies of deviant behavior among adolescents as expressed by teachers in Kwara State, unpublished M.Ed thesis in the Department of Counsellor Education University of Ilorin.
- Ukwayi, J.K., Eja, O.F. & Unwanede, C.C. (2012). Peer Pressure and Tobacco Smoking among Undergraduate Students of the University of Calabar, Cross River State. Higher Education Studies; Vol. 2, No. 3; 2012.
- Vieno, A., Gini, G., Santinello, M., Lenzi, M., & Nation, M. (2011). Violent behavior and unfairness in school: Multilevel analysis of Italian schools. Journal of Community Psychology, 39(5), 534-550.
- Worries as 30 killed in Ilorin cult clashes (2017), available at: https://thenationonlineng.net/worries-30-killed-ilorin-cult-clashes (accessed: 9 April 2018).
- Yarduma, A. C. & Abdulamid, Y. F. (2007). A survey of behaviour problems among secondary schools in Akwanga Local Government Area of Niger State. Journal of Arts Education 3( 1): 11-19.
- Yaroson MC (2006), Strategies for curbing indiscipline in Nigeria secondary schools. http://www.Accs.org.uk.
- Zakaria, N., Reupert, A., & Sharma, U. (2013). Malaysian primary pre-service teachers’ perceptions of students’ disruptive behaviour. Asia Pacific Education Review, 14(3), 371-380.
Publication order reference